Wednesday 22 September 2021

ICSE GRAMMAR JOIN THE SENTENCES


A. Join the sentences together using the words given 

1. He will not spend his money. He will not invest it. (neither…nor)

2. John is a doctor. His wife is a doctor. (both…and)

3. He is very ill. The doctors do not expect him to recover. (so…that)

4. Tom was down with flu. He could not attend the class. (because / as)

5. Iron is found in India. Coal is also found in India. (as well as)

6. I had no ticket. Still I was able to get in. (although)

7. John did not work hard. So he failed in the examination. (if)

8. He left home early. Still he arrived late. (although)

9. He is very fat. He cannot walk fast. (too)

10. He has to come in time. Otherwise, he will not be able to see me. (if / unless)

B. Join each of the following pairs of sentences using the conjunction given in brackets.

1. Work hard. You will pass. (If)

2. Give full attention to your studies. You will succeed. (Unless)

3. Hurry up. You will miss the train. (Unless)

4. Ruth ran very fast. She could not catch up with Mark. (Though)

5. He has already delivered a good performance. Nobody can question his eligibility. (Since)

6. I know. He is a brave boy. (That)

7. ‘Would you like to accompany me?’ He asked. (Whether)

8. We all respect him. He is an honest man. (Because)

9. She cannot go to work. She fully recovers from her illness. (Before)

10. Jane is quite warm and friendly. Her sister is quite warm and friendly. (Both…and)

C. Join the sentences together using the words given :-

1. My old friend Vaishali met me at the bus stop. I had not seen her for years. (whom) 

 2. He wanted to know something. Where had everyone gone? (where) 

 3. The police are trying to help the man. His bicycle was stolen. (whose) 

4.  She dislikes all animals. This is very strange. (which) 

 5. They began to roll up their sleeves. They seemed to be eager to begin. (as if)

 6. There was nothing more we could do. We came away. (since) 

7. It was a very stormy night. Everyone stayed indoors. (as)

8. The news pleased them. More money was going to be paid. (that) 

9. The news came as a surprise. The team had won. (that) 

10. He stopped the car. He wanted to help. (because) 

 D Join the sentences together without using ‘and’ or ‘but’ :- 

 1.The horse he was riding looked very powerful. It was a large, black stallion. 

2. She was alarmed by the explosion. She ran to the window. 

3. He could lift a man weighing 95 kg. He needed only one hand. 

4. They feared that they were too late. They hurried to the spot. 

5. He received a message. His father had been taken ill. 

6. They were pleased with the school team’s victory. They went off to have some tea. 

7. She spoke to the Chief Clerk. He was a friendly, helpful man. 

 8.They were waiting for a bus. They saw two cars collide. 

9. He picked up a sheet of notepaper. It had some curious writing on it. 

 10. They heard the news. They were very pleased.

 11. She felt ill. She lay down for a few moments. 

12.  He was embarrassed by the applause. He turned pink.

13. I am looking for a book. It is a thick one with a blue cover. 

14. He was going home from school. He suddenly had an idea. 

 15. I should like you to meet my cousin. He has just come from Australia. 

E.  Join the sentences together without using ‘and’, ‘but’, ‘or’ and ‘nor’:- 

 1. The valley is seventeen miles long. At the head of it lies a beautiful lake. 

2.  I want to sell a boat. I have had it for many years. 

3.  Mr. Vaz is the oldest inhabitant. He is going to give a talk on the history of our town. 

4. Polythene is a relatively recent invention. It is an unbreakable plastic. 

5. He spoke very gently. He would have been dismissed.

F. Join the sentences.

1) She went to work. She did not want to go.

2) The scientists trained him well. They helped him find a job when his training was through.

3) Polar bears are fierce, territorial animals. Grizzly bears are the same.

4) Mark told me not to come with him. He looked longingly at me as I left.

5) I will not give in to you. I will not let you push me around.

6) My father loves to drive during the day. His nursing home lets him drive before 9pm.

7) My cat was hungry. It had not eaten since breakfast.

8) They couldn't think of anything better to do. They decided to baby-sit for the family.

9) A book can be a lot of fun to read. A book can be boring.

10) I want to go on a date with Javier. I’ll ask him out.

G. Join the sentences.

  1. He is both a singer …………..  drummer.
  2. Ramu is poor …………..  he managed to educate his son.
  3.  ………….. he is trusted, he cheated his boss.
  4. Stuart is taller …………..  his friend Jack.
  5. Father came to know …………..  his son has passed.
  6. I won’t pay you …………..  you show me your card.
  7. A good bowler knows …………..  to deliver a bouncer.
  8. …………..  he was captain, he was to be blamed for loss.
  9. It’s my rule, follow it …………..  forget it.
  10. Hari was watering the plants …………..  I happened to cross by his house.
H.  Join the sentences.

1. Our old friends dropped in last Saturday. We took them out to lunch, (then, next) went shopping with them,”Babita told Lata.
2. Suchitra had not heard from her cousin overseas for a long time, (finally, later) she decided to write him a letter.
3. The offenders were arrested by the police, (after, subsequently) they were imprisoned for a week.
4. (Until, After) a good night’s sleep, we woke up refreshed and ready to continue our journey.
5. She would not divulge any information (until, later) she felt she could trust us.
6. She gets up early every morning, she does some Yoga exercises, (then, before) She sits down to have breakfast.
7. (After, Before) the government forces could recover from the attack, the enemy launched yet another attack.
8. To be a good teacher, (next, first) you must have a lot of patience.
9. The boys pitched their tents, (finally, then) They built a campfire.
10. “To get to my place, (until, first) take bus number 10 to the 1st terminal; (after, then) take bus number 3 which will drop you right in front of my house,” Jaya explained to her friend.

I. Join the sentences.

1. I used torchlight. It was very dark by then.

2. I wanted to go with them very badly. My father would not let me go.

3. I went to see the manager personally. I had a very serious complaint to make.

4. The bull rushed straight at the little boy. He quickly moved to one side.

5. I locked myself in my bedroom. I would not be disturbed by the children.

6. We had waited for you for a long time. You did not turn up at all.

7. He was very pleased with himself. He had won the first prize in the competition.

8. The girl did not buy that expensive pair of shoes. She liked them very much.

9. He walked out of the room very angrily. He slammed the door hard.

10.I shouted for help as loudly as I could. No one heard me.

11.You must come early. We will have time to make all the arrangements.

12. The boys are afraid to go near that place. They have heard that it is haunted.

13. I did not steal the pears from your orchard. My brother did not steal them, either.

14. I could not find him in his own house. I went over to Alex's house to see if he was there.

15. We were walking to the other side of the island. We found a small stream.


 
   
  


   



No comments:

Post a Comment