Saturday 2 May 2020

THE SOLILOQUY OF A MIRROR

THE SOLILOQUY OF A MIRROR

Hark! I am a lifeless Mirror, yet I am livelier than anyone else,
I am without eyes, yet I can see  more impartially than anyone else,
I am not a Judge, yet my judgment is neither biased nor questionable,
I have no brain, yet my Conscience is unmatched as well as unfathomable!

Hark! I am only an honorary representative of the Almighty God,
I am only a selfless benefactor to obey the dustless Decree of my Lord,
I am only an unselfish and honest volunteer to serve you dutifully unpaid,
Yes, under all the circumstances, I am cool, composed, unperturbed and fully staid!

Hark! I have no role in either praising or despising your outward contour,
I am to only apprise flawlessly whether it is normally sweet or abnormally sour.
Thus, let me neither be excessively eulogized, nor be bitterly censured,
Let me not be grimaced grimly, nor be embraced enviably with a reward!

Hark! Without my free service, how can you assess your fleshy features,
And, how can you beautify and embellish you, O the mortal creatures?
I am only a detached and obedient disciple of the great and generous Nature,
I wish you all to follow my untrodden, yet praiseworthy footprints, and nurture.

Hark! There is a subtle mirror meticulously set in every person.
Have you ever peeped into to see its indiscriminate manifestation?
It ceaselessly exhibits your Inner Self in an incredibly explicit fashion,
Thus, you must follow it every passing instant for Moksha – your final Destination!

* SOLILOQUY – a talking to oneself, a speech of this nature made by a character in a play
* eulogized – praised excessively, * grimaced – made a disagreeable face

N.B. This poem is inspired by Sylvia Plath’s poem “Mirror’.

Copyright: Shankar D Mishra 16.05.20

6 comments:

  1. Dear Bindu Sar Sharma Sir, I am copying and pasting yr WhatsApp comment on the above poem with gratitude.

    Written with a deft hand to encompass the inner and outer role of mirror. Darpan jhoot na bole and Sahir Saab rightly said that, Tora mann darpan kehlaaye, bhale bure saare karmo ko, dekhe aur dikhaaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Nicely described the mirror and slso compared it with our own mind. Very beautifully done. Enjoyed it ver well.
    Shankar ji well appreciated.👌👏👏👍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq so much dear Sir for yr encouraging feedback.

      Delete
  3. Excellent description ofnonliving thing mirror and living thing comparison very good sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq so much dear Sir for yr encouraging feedback.

      Delete