Saturday 29 May 2021

FUN WITH ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 








1. i. a. A woman, without her man, is nothing!

b. A woman! Without her, man is nothing.

ii. a. Let's eat, our dear friends.

b. Let's eat our dear friends.

iii. a.  We paid twenty-five dollars. ( 25×75 =1875)

b. We paid twenty five-dollars. (20 × 5 = 100 × 75 = 7500)

iv. a. I am sorry I can't help you. (Feeling sad for my inability to help you)

b. I am sorry; I can't help you. (My refusal to help you)

v. a. Have you seen the man eating chicken?

b. Have you seen the man-eating chicken?

vi. a. I bought a hot-water bottle.

b. I used a hot water bottle on my swollen parts.

vii. a. This is a girl's hostel.

b. This is a girls' hostel.

viii. a. I draw pleasure in cooking, and selling, my friends.

b. I draw pleasure in cooking and selling my friends.

ix. a. I would like to thank my parents, Shubhra and Divya.

b. I would like to thank my parents, Shubhra, and Divya.

x. a. A Merry Christmas from the Patnaik's!

b. A Merry Christmas from the Patnaiks!

xi. a. I want to re-cover my sofa.

b. I want to recover my sofa.

xii. I saw a snake trekking, and some boys.

b. I saw a snake, and some boys trekking.

xiii. a. What are you Ram?

b. What! Are you Ram?

xiv. a. Why did the tiger devour the protagonist Mr. Chand?

b. Why did the tiger devour the protagonist, Mr. Chand?

Xiv. a. I can.

b. I can!

2.i. a. I would if I could.

b. I could if I would.

ii. a. I am going to come.

b. I am coming to go.

iii. a. I came to meet you.

b. I am glad to meet you. (While meeting)

c. I am glad to have met you.(While departing)

iv. a. He studies hard.

b. He hardly studies.

v.a. The P.M will tell the students shortly how to prepare for the Exams.

b. The P.M will tell the students briefly how to prepare for the Exams.

vi.a. I have drawn this picture.

b. I have this picture drawn.

vii. a. I am to solve these questions. (Already decided/arranged)

b. I  have to solve these questions. (Compelled)

viii.a. You have come late.

b. You have come lately.

ix.a. He goes to school daily.

b. He goes to the school daily.

x.a. She left for the office direct. (With no stop on the way)

b. She left for the office directly. (Immediately)

xi. a. He is only handsome.

b. Only he is handsome.

xii.a. X thinks little of Y.

b. X little thinks of Y.

xiii.a. He lost his only mobile.

b. He lost his mobile only.

c. Only he lost his mobile.

xiv. a. He seems to be rich.

b. He seems to have been rich.

xv.a. Who is she?

b. What is she?

c. Which is she?

xvi.a Is he going to watch the match?

b. Is he coming to watch the match?

xvii.a. Esha is the greatest poet.

b. Esha is the greatest poetess.

xviii.a. He shut the door upon his friend.

b. He shut the door against his enemy.

xix.a. She was a very charming girl.

b. She was a most charming girl.

c. She was the most charming girl.

d. She was too charming a girl.

xx.a. Today's class was of the first importance.

b.Today's class was of the last importance.

c. Today's class was of the least importance.

3. i. a. We saw a dead lion playing.

b. While playing, we saw a dead lion.

ii. a. Having bitten the child, the man killed the snake.

b. The snake having bitten the child, the man killed it.

iii. a. Running through the jungle, a lion leaped towards him.

b. While he was running through the jungle, a lion leaped towards him.

4. i. a. I, who is a great cricketer, lives in Mumbai.

b. I, who am a great cricketer, live in Mumbai.

ii. a. You, who is one of my best friends, has stood first in the Board Exams.

b. You, who are one of my best friends, have stood first in the Board Exams.

iii. a. This is not such a sweet mango which I had expected to be.

b. This is not such a sweet mango as/that I had expected to be.

iv. a. I was reading Tagore's poems, who was a great poet.

b. I was reading the poems of Tagore, who was a great poet.

v. a. The front chairs have been occupied by some ladies, that/which were reserved for the media persons.

b. Some ladies have occupied the front chairs , that were reserved for the media persons.

vi. a. All which glitters are not gold.

b. All, that glitters, is not gold.

vii. a. Something, which is spoken by the parents, is always worth listening.

b. Something, that is spoken by the parents, is always worth listening.

viii. a. What are you say!

b.What are you say?

5. i. a. You are so good as my friend.

b. You are as good as my friend.

Or, You are not so good as my friend.

ii. a. No batsman was as famous as Sachin.

b. No other batsman was as famous as Sachin.

iii. a. He plays better than me.

b. He plays better than I (do).

iv. a. Lata Mangeshkar is one of the sweetest singer the world has ever heard.

b. Lata Mangeshkar is one of the sweetest singers the world has ever heard.

v. a. This is the easiest sum I have never worked out.

b. This is the easiest sum I have ever worked out.

vi. a. Manisha is prettier than any girl in our college.

b. Manisha is prettier than any other girl in our college.

vii.a. Shylock was crueler than any other Jew.

b. Shylock was crueler than any Jew.

6. i. a I am as well as you are invited to the party.

b. I am as well as you am invited to the party.

ii.a. Neither of you are correct.

b. Neither of you is correct.

iii. a. Neither of the two was correct.

b. Neither of the three was correct.





















No comments:

Post a Comment