Answers
Put into reported speech,
using the verb indicated
1. He said to the beggar,
“Go away!” (told)
Answer:
He told the beggar to go away.
2. I said to her, “Come
here!” (asked)
Answer:
I asked her to go there.
3. The teacher said to
the boys, “Run away!” (told)
Answer:
The teacher told the boys to run away.
4. The Principal said to
him, “Pay the fees at once!” (ordered)
Answer:
The Principal ordered him to pay the fees at once.
5. They said to her,
“Play the piano!” (asked)
Answer:
They asked her to play the piano.
6. She said to me, “Have
a cup of tea.” (asked)
Answer:
She asked me to have a cup of tea.
7. I said to my servant,
“Clean my shoes.” (ordered)
Answer:
I ordered my servant to clean my shoes.
8. The mother said to her
son, “Wash your face.” (told)
Answer:
The mother told her son to wash his face.
9. He said to us, “Give
me another.” (asked)
Answer:
He asked us to give him another.
10. She said to her
friend, “Come at five o’clock.” (told)
Answer: She
told her friend to come at five o’clock.
11. He said to me, “Clean
it yourself.” (asked)
Answer:
He asked me to clean it myself.
12. I said to the
shopkeeper, “Wrap it up in a piece of paper.” (asked)
Answer:
I asked the shopkeeper to wrap it up in a piece of paper.
13. The teacher said to
Arun, “Do your buttons up.” (ordered)
Answer:
The teacher ordered Arun to do his buttons up.
14. I said to Misha,
“Leave it on the piano.” (told)
Answer:
I told Misha to leave it on the piano.
15. The officer said to
the clerk, “Mind your language.” (warned)
Answer:
The officer warned the clerk to mind his language.
II. Put into reported
speech
1. He said to me, “Shut
the door.”
Answer:
He asked me to shut the door.
2. My father said to me,
“Trust in God.”
Answer:
My father advised me to trust in God.
3. The boy said to his
father, “Forgive me this time.”
Answer:
The boy begged his father to forgive him that time.
4. The teacher said to
the boys, “Be attentive in the class.”
Answer:
The teacher told the boys to be attentive in the class.
5. The beggar said to me,
“Give me a piece of bread.”
Answer:
The beggar begged me to give him a piece of bread.
6. Mohan said to his
servant, “Go and post this letter at once.”
Answer:
Mohan ordered his servant to go and post that letter at once.
7. He said to her, “Get
your hair cut.”
Answer:
He advised her to get her hair cut.
8. The teacher said to
the boys, “Look at the blackboard.”
Answer:
The teacher told the boys to look at the blackboard.
9. My father said to me,
“Do not waste your time.”
Answer:
My father advised me not to waste my time.
10. She said to him,
“Don’t sit on my bed.”
Answer:
She told him not to sit on her bed.
11. I said to Mohan,
“Don’t try to be funny.”
Answer:
I told Mohan not to try to be funny.
12. The officer said to
him, “Don’t put your elbow on the table.”
Answer:
The officer told him not to put his elbow on the table.
13. The father said to
the children, “Don’t spill it on the carpet.”
Answer:
The father warned the children not to spill it on the carpet.
EXERCISE 31
Put the following
sentences into reported speech
1. He says, “I like
animals.”
Answer:
He says that he likes animals.
2. Misha will say, “She
is busy now.”
Answer:
Misha will say that she is busy then.
3. Pritam says, “I cannot
help you.”
Answer:
Pritam says that he cannot help me.
4. He has told you, “I am
coming.”
Answer:
He has told you that he is coming.
5. Raman will say to you,
“I am tired of this work.”
Answer:
Raman will say to me that he is tired of that work.
6. Anil says, “We are now
ready.”
Answer:
Anil says that they are now ready.
7. Kitty says, “I have a
toy for you.”
Answer:
Kitty says that she has a toy for me.
8. Leela is saying to her
mother, “I have learnt my lesson.”
Answer:
Leela is telling her mother that she has learnt her lesson.
9. Mohan says, “I have
been working since morning.”
Answer:
Mohan says that he has been working since morning.
10. Mrs. Das says, “I
will give Sunita a new frock.”
Answer:
Mrs. Das says that she will give Sunita a new frock.
11. The magician says, “I
will show you a new trick.”
Answer:
The magician says that he will show me a new trick.
12. The teacher has said
to him, “You are not working hard enough.”
Answer:
The teacher has told him that he is not working hard enough.
13. My servant says, “I
will answer the phone.”
Answer:
My servant says that he will answer the phone.
14. He will say, “I do
not know you.”
Answer:
He will say that he does not know me.
15. Mohan says, “I am
giving a party this week to all my friends.”
Answer:
Mohan says that he is giving a party this week to all his friends.
EXERCISE 32
Put the following into
reported speech.
1. I said to my teacher,
“I need your help, sir.”
Answer:
I told my teacher that I needed his/her help.
2. He said to me, “You
are wasting your time.”
Answer:
He told me that I was wasting my time.
3. The boy said to his
mother, “I have spoken the truth.”
Answer:
The boy told his mother that he had spoken the truth.
4. He said, “My cow died
last week.”
Answer:
He said that his cow had died the previous week.
5. He said to her, “I
shall go to Delhi tomorrow.”
Answer:
He told her that he would go to Delhi the next day.
6. Sheela said to me,
“You may stay here.”
Answer:
Sheela told me that I might stay there.
7. I said to her, “Mohan
met me last year.”
Answer:
I told her that Mohan had met me the previous year.
8. She said to her
husband, “They will be here soon.”
Answer:
She told her husband that they would be there soon.
9. Rama said to me, “I
can’t come next week.”
Answer:
Rama told me that she could not come the following week.
10. Misha said to her, “I
am living in Delhi.”
Answer:
Misha told her that she was living in Delhi.
11. He said, “I can come
any time next week.”
Answer:
He said that he could come any time the following week.
12. The mother said,
“They went away yesterday.”
Answer:
The mother said that they had gone away the previous day.
13. He said to the
doctor, “I fell downstairs.”
Answer:
He told the doctor that he had fallen downstairs.
14. I said to him, “I’ll
leave it on the table.”
Answer:
I told him that I would leave it on the table.
15. She said, “I have
been very stupid.”
Answer:
She said that she had been very stupid.
16. He said to the
teacher, “I’m sorry I’m late.”
Answer:
He told the teacher that he was sorry because he was late.
17. She said, “I have
broken my glasses.”
Answer:
She said that she had broken her glasses.
18. Mohan said, “I was
ill yesterday.”
Answer:
Mohan said that he had been ill the previous day.
19. The boy said, “I have
never been here before.”
Answer:
The boy said that he had never been there before.
20. She said to her
teacher, “I have done my homework.”
Answer:
She told her teacher that she had done her homework.
21. The doctor said to
her, “You may have to stay in bed for a week.”
Answer:
The doctor told her that she might have to stay in bed for a week.
22. I said to her, “I
don’t know what he’ll say.”
Answer:
I told her that I did not know what he would say.
EXERCISE 33
Put the following
sentences into reported speech.
1. He said to me, “What
is your name?”
Answer:
He asked me what my name was.
2. My father said to me,
“Where are you going?”
Answer:
My father asked me where I was going.
3. The teacher said to
her, “How did you do that?”
Answer:
The teacher asked her how she had done that.
4. She said, “Who will
come to the pictures with me?”
Answer:
She asked who would go to the pictures with her.
5. The old man said to
me, “Where is the station?”
Answer:
The old man asked me where the station was.
6. She said to her
brother, “Which is your pen?”
Answer:
She asked her brother which was his pen.
7. My father said to me,
“Why have you failed the test?”
Answer:
My father asked me why I had failed the test.
8. The teacher said to
Mohan, “Why are you telling a lie?”
Answer:
The teacher asked Mohan why he was telling a lie.
9. The policeman said to
me, “What are you doing here?”
Answer:
The policeman asked me what I was doing there.
10. I said to him, “Why
did you not tell me the truth?”
Answer:
I asked him why he had not told me the truth.
11. I said to the tailor,
“When will my dress be finished?”
Answer:
I asked the tailor when my dress would be finished.
12. My sister said to me,
“Why are you so sad?”
Answer:
My sister asked me why I was so sad.
13. The inspector said,
“What is the matter?”
Answer:
The inspector asked what the matter was.
14. The librarian said to
Misha, “Which book are you taking?”
Answer:
The librarian asked Misha which book she was taking.
15. My friend said to me,
“Where shall we meet tonight?”
Answer:
My friend asked me where we should meet that night.
16. She said to me, “How
do you know that?”
Answer:
She asked me how I knew that.
17. I said to Manu, “How
do you like this cake?”
Answer:
I asked Manu how he liked that cake.
18. He said, “Where shall
I go?”
Answer:
He asked where he should go.
19. He said to me, “Where
have you put my pencil?”
Answer:
He asked me where I had put his pencil.
20. I said to her, “What
is he thinking?”
Answer:
I asked her what he was thinking.
EXERCISE 34
Put the following
sentences into reported speech.
1. I said to her, “Have
you lost your pen?”
Answer:
I asked her if she had lost her pen.
2. Mohan said to his
driver, “Is the car ready?”
Answer:
Mohan asked his driver if the car was ready.
3. The teacher said to
John, “Do you know Hindi?”
Answer:
The teacher asked John if he knew Hindi.
4. She said to me, “Are
you going to school today?”
Answer:
She asked me if I was going to school that day.
5. I said to Abdul, “Are
you coming to the meeting?”
Answer:
I asked Abdul if he was coming to the meeting.
6. She said to Richa,
“Are you enjoying yourself?”
Answer:
She asked Richa if she was enjoying herself.
7. I said, “Does she
always wear silk stockings?”
Answer:
I asked if she always wore silk stockings.
8. She said to me, “Are
you going for a walk?”
Answer:
She asked me if I was going for a walk.
9. Misha said, “Do I look
all right?”
Answer:
Misha asked if she looked all right.
10. The girls said, “Are
the grapes sour?”
Answer:
The girls asked if the grapes were sour.
11. He said, “Is it time
to go now?”
Answer:
He asked if it was time to go then.
12. I said, “Will the
taxi be here at eight o’clock?”
Answer:
I asked if the taxi would be there at eight o’clock.
13. He said to me, “Can
you hear that noise?”
Answer:
He asked me if I could hear that noise.
14. I said to my servant,
“Have you cleaned my shoes?”
Answer:
I asked my servant if he had cleaned my shoes.
15. She said, “May I use
your telephone?”
Answer:
She asked if she might use my telephone.
16. My uncle said to me,
“Do you sleep in the afternoons?”
Answer:
My uncle asked me if I slept in the afternoons.
17. The traveller said to
me, “Can you tell me the way to the station?”
Answer:
The traveller asked me if I could tell him the way to the station.
18. Hari said to his
father, “May I go to the pictures tonight?”
Answer:
Hari asked his father if he might go to the pictures that night.
19. Pran said to Prem,
“Were you present at the meeting?”
Answer:
Pran asked Prem if he had been present at the meeting.
20. I said to her, “Do
you want my help?”
Answer:
I asked her if she wanted my help.
21. She said to her maid,
“Have you cleaned the room?”
Answer:
She asked her maid if she had cleaned the room.
22. He said to her, “Is
it raining very heavily?”
Answer:
He asked her if it was raining very heavily.
EXERCISE 35
Put the following
sentences into reported speech.
1. The father said to his
son, “Honesty is the best policy.”
Answer:
The father told his son that honesty is the best policy.
2. My friend said, “I
never tell lies.”
Answer:
My friend said that he never tells lies.
3. He said, “Truth always
wins.”
Answer:
He said that truth always wins.
4. My friend said to me,
“I go out for a walk daily.”
Answer:
My friend told me that he goes out for a walk daily.
5. The teacher said to
us, “The earth moves round the sun.”
Answer:
The teacher told us that the earth moves round the sun.
6. I said to him, “Might
is right.”
Answer:
I told him that might is right.
7. The teacher said,
“Indira Gandhi was killed in 1984.”
Answer:
The teacher said that Indira Gandhi was killed in 1984.
8. The father said to his
son, “God helps those who help themselves.”
Answer:
The father told his son that God helps those who help themselves.
9. He said, “I don’t
smoke in my father’s presence.”
Answer:
He said that he doesn’t smoke in his father’s presence.
10. Our teacher said,
“Hard work never goes unrewarded.”
Answer:
Our teacher said that hard work never goes unrewarded.
EXERCISE 36
Put the following into
reported speech.
1. She said, “How
beautiful the picture is!”
Answer:
She exclaimed that the picture was very beautiful.
2. The businessman said,
“How foolish I have been!”
Answer:
The businessman exclaimed that he had been very foolish.
3. My mother said, “What
a lovely house!”
Answer:
My mother exclaimed that it was a very lovely house.
4. She said to me, “What
a dirty face you have!”
Answer:
She exclaimed that I had a very dirty face.
5. The teacher said,
“What a terrible noise!”
Answer:
The teacher exclaimed that it was a very terrible noise.
6. I said, “How
dreadful!”
Answer:
I exclaimed that it was very dreadful.
7. He said to me, “Hello!
Where are you going?”
Answer:
He greeted me and asked me where I was going.
8. I said to her, “Hello!
What do you want?”
Answer:
I greeted her and asked her what she wanted.
9. I said to my teacher,
“Thank you!”
Answer:
I thanked my teacher.
10. He said to the poor
beggar, “Scoundrel!”
Answer:
He called the poor beggar a scoundrel. [villain/ cheat]
11. She said to my
brother, “Good luck!”
Answer:
She wished my brother good luck.
12. Our teacher said to
us, “Happy Diwali!”
Answer:
Our teacher wished us a happy Diwali.
13. I said to my friend,
“Congratulations!”
Answer:
I congratulated my friend.
14. He said, “Curse this
storm!”
Answer:
He cursed the storm.
15. She said, “Oh! I have
cut myself!”
Answer:
She exclaimed with pain that she had cut herself.
16. The people said, “The
house is on fire!”
Answer:
The people exclaimed with alarm that the house was on fire.
17. His wife said to him,
“How ridiculous you look!”
Answer:
His wife exclaimed to him that he looked very ridiculous.
18. Looking at him, they
said, “How unlucky!”
Answer:
Looking at him, they exclaimed that he was very unlucky.

No comments:
Post a Comment