Saturday 5 December 2020

INTERCHANGE OF SIMPLE, COMPOUND & COMPLEX SENTENCES / JOIN THE SENTENCES.

 



INTERCHANGE OF SIMPLE, COMPOUND & COMPLEX SENTENCES / JOIN THE SENTENCES.

What is a sentence?

Ans. * A group of words having a subject and a verb making a complete sense is called a sentence.

* That, which starts with a capital letter and ends with a full punctuation mark, is called a sentence.

 Full Punctuation Mark: ./?/!

Types of sentences:

There are two types of sentences:

Type 1 is based on sense.

Type 2 is based on structure.

A sentence based on sense is 5 types:
1. Assertive
2. Imperative
3. Interrogative
4. Exclamatory
5. Optative
A Sentence based on structure is 3 types:
1. Simple
2. Compound
3. Complex

What is a simple Sentence?

A simple Sentence has a subject and a verb.

Ex. He plays.

What a compound sentence?

A compound sentence is made up of 2 simple sentences joined with a coordinate conjunction.

Ex : He plays well. He studies well.

 He plays and studies well.


Coordinators/Coordinate conjunctions

And, but, still, yet, however, nevertheless,or,else, otherwise, either..or, neither..or,as well as, not only...but also, so, therefore, for, hence etc

What is a complex sentence?

A complex sentence has a simple sentence joined with a dependent or subordinate clause.

Ex. He says that he knows the answer.

Sub-ordinators/Sub-ordinate conjunctions

What, when, where, whom, why, how, however, while, after, before, as soon as, no sooner..than, hardly.. when, scarcely... before, as, since, because, though, although, even though, even if, notwithstanding that, if, unless, provided that, so ....that, such .....that, in order that, lest, in case etc.

1.



Example 3.

Hitesh had fever. He went to school.

Compound : Hitesh had fever, yet he went to school .
Complex : Though Hitesh had fever, he went to school .
Simple : In spite of having fever, Hitesh went to school .

Questions:

1. Mother was busy. She checked my homework.
2. Rajesh is poor. He is honest.
3. Madhav started the race first. He finished it last.
4. Sanju Samson was better than DK and Rishabh Panth. He was not selected in the T20 World Cup squad.
5. Mohan works hard. He fails to get the desired results.

2.




Example 4
Papa returned from college. He checked my homework.
Compound= Papa returned from college and he checked my homework. 

Complex= As soon as papa returned from college, he checked my homework. 

Simple = After returning from college, papa checked my homework

Questions

1. Hardik won the toss in the 2nd T20 match against Newziland. He decided to bat first.
2. Mother washed the clothes. She put them into the dryer.
3. The Principal entered the class. The students wished him/her good morning.
4. The match was over. The spectators left the stadium.
5. The teacher completed a new lesson. He/She gave the assignments.

3. 1




3.2

Rn+Rlt

 I liked the previous class.  I attended it today.

Compound: I liked the previous class, so I attended it today.
Complex: Since I liked the previous class, I attended it today.
Simple: Because of/Due to liking the previous class, I attended it today.

Rlt+Rn

Compound: I attended the class today, for I liked the previous class.
Complex: I attended the class today because I liked the previous class.
Simple: I attended the class today for liking the previous class.

Questions

1. Ram wrote all the correct answers. He got full marks.
2. Sita danced better than the rest. She got the 1st prize.
3. Teacher was angry. He/She didn't spare the wicked students.
4. The worker was tired. He rested in the shade.
5. Mohan was hungry. He took his breakfast before doing his homework.

4.

Condition

Keep your mike off. You can hear me clearly. 

Compound) 1. Keep your mike off or else you can't hear me clearly. 
(Complex) 1. If you keep your mike off, you can hear me clearly. 
2. Unless you keep your mike off, you cannot hear me clearly. 
(Simple) 1. Without keeping your mike off, you cannot hear me clearly.

2. Keep your mike off to hear me clearly

B. You can understand. You have to pay attention to me. (Condition)

~Compound-You have to pay attention to me, otherwise you can't understand. 

~Complex-If you pay attention to me, you can understand. -
Unless you pay attention to me, you cannot understand. 

~Simple-Without paying attention to me, you cannot understand. 

~You have to pay attention to me to understand.
(Compound) 1. I will go to Delhi otherwise. I cannot meet a friend there. 
(Complex) 1. I will go to Delhi so that I can meet a friend. 
(Simple) 1. Without going to Delhi, I cannot meet a friend. 
2. I will go to Delhi to meet a friend.




Questions

1. Practise Yoga everyday. You will stay healthy.
2. Study sincerely. You can pass with a distinction.
3. He worked hard. He succeeded in life.
4. Don't waste time. You will repent.
5. He had to buy some books. He went to a book shop.
6. He joined a gymnasium. His purpose was to stay fit.


Copyright: Dr. Shankar D Mishra 05.12.20


2 comments:

  1. Good. You are continuing with your English grammer class. It's so simple and easy to follow and understand. Students eho can go through these, will definitely reap the benefit. Thank you, Shankar ji. πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ’πŸ™Œ

    ReplyDelete