Wednesday 17 January 2018

MAN IS BORN TO MAKE, NOT MAR, OTHERS’ DAYS!


MAN IS BORN TO MAKE, NOT MAR, OTHERS’ DAYS!

In the sordid and suffocating Sojourn of my life’s battered bivouac,
I have ever been at the mercy of misfortune like a Japanese Quake,
Under the constant threat of an unexpectedly calamitous quiver;
Who knows when the disastrous jolt will again compel me to shiver?

Yes, I have been compelled to smile with a million fake Façades,
Though I have been shaken and slashed mercilessly for four odd decades!
I have been using the Balms of Divine Grace on my bleeding hurts hidden,
That have been torturing and tormenting under my thick, tolerant Rhino’s skin!

But, opening up the ever raw, fresh wounds for public Pity won’t serve to heal them,
That will only attract an unwelcome, unwholesome and universal Shame,
That will too contribute to making me an easily reachable and conquerable Game,
Adding again more lubricants of wretchedness, to my ever seething adversity Flame!

Still, let me never think in life to shake anyone’s happiness like a Japanese quake,
For, man is born to make, not to mar, others’ days, for his own perishable gain’s sake!

Glossary:
Sojourn - a short stay/halt
Bivouac - an open temporary shelter for soldiers
Façades - faces/appearances
Slashed - slices
Seething - boiling
Make others’ days – make others happy

  • ©Shankar D Mishra, 23.04.2018

2 comments:

  1. Can you explain to a lay man's understanding the meaning of the lyrics. ... .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a captivating composition sir. Your lines touched my heart and mind with an updating effect ..................... Jai Shree Radha Madhaba

    ReplyDelete