Friday 2 December 2022

WRONG USE OF PUNCTUATIONS MAKES THE SENTENCES RIDICULOUS.


ERRORS IN PUNCTUATIONS MAKE THE SENTENCES RIDICULOUS.

 

1.    i. A woman, without her man, is nothing. ii. A woman! Without her, man is nothing.

2.    i. Let’s eat our dear friends!  ii. Let’s eat, our dear friends!

3.    i. Why did the lion eat the hero Mr. Martin? ii. Why did the lion eat the hero, Mr. Martin?

4.    i. This test is a killer Mrs. Smith. ii. This test is a killer, Mrs. Smith.

5.    i. I like cooking cats and women. ii. I like cooking, cats and women.

6.    i. Today, we will learn to cut and paste kids. ii. Today, we will learn to cut and paste, kids.

7.    i. Smoking bare feet pets are prohibited in our apartment. i. Smoking, bare feet, pets are prohibited in our apartment.

8.    i. I am sorry I love you. ii. I am sorry, I love you.

9.    i. This toilet is only for the disabled elderly pregnant children! ii. This toilet is only for the disabled, elderly, pregnant, children!

10. i. Man bacon makes anything taste better. ii. Man, bacon makes anything taste better.

11. i. The goat eats shoots and leaves. ii. The goat eats shoots, and leaves.

12. i. My sister Rajashree and Mukesh got full marks in Sanskrit. ii. My sister, Rajashree and Mukesh got full marks in Sanskrit.

13.  I love my parents, Kylie Minogue and Kermit the Frog.

Without the Oxford comma, the sentence above could be interpreted as stating that you love your parents, and your parents are Kylie Minogue and Kermit the Frog!

Here is the same sentence with the Oxford comma:

I love my parents, Kylie Minogue, and Kermit the Frog.

I saw the strippers, Obama, and Trump.

I saw the strippers, Obama and Trump.


Say “NO” to Drugs, from the NMB Police D.A.R.E Officers.


Say “NO” to Drugs from the NMB Police D.A.R.E Officers.

Jack said Bill hit him.


Here are some ways the sentence can be punctuated to provide different meanings, with the meaning shown in parentheses for each sentence:


‘Jack’, said Bill, ‘hit him!’ (Bill tells Jack to hit a third person.)


Jack said: ‘Bill, hit him!’ (Jack tells Bill to hit a third person.)


Jack said Bill hit him. (Two possible meanings—Jack claims it was Bill—and not someone else—who hit Jack, or Jack claims that Bill hit a third person.)


Jack said Bill hit him. (Jack claims Bill hit Jack.)


14. My name is fink

And what do you think

I will give you a shave for nothing

And give you a drink

 

My name is fink

And what! Do you think

I will give you a shave for nothing

And give you a drink?

 

15. i. I re-covered my sofa. ii. I recovered my sofa.

16. i. What are you doing! ii. What are you doing?

17.  

 

18. Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?
Jane


Unfortunately, John was far from pleased. In fact, he was heartbroken. You see, John was familiar with Jane's peculiar ways of misusing punctuation marks. And so to decipher the true meaning of her email, he had to re-read it with the marks altered:

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
Yours,
Jane

19. I was told the following in an English class back in school:

“I helped my uncle jack off (masturbate) a horse.”

Instead of:

“I helped my uncle Jack, off a horse.”

Gave us all quite a laugh at the time!

20. All the faith he had had had had no effect on the outcome of his life.

21. Jake, while John had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had a better effect on their teacher.

22. They had five children.

The 1st was called January. The 2nd was called February. The 3rd was called March. The 4th was named April. What was the name of the fifth.

23.  Two boys were born to the same mother at the same time, same day, same month and year, still they were not twins. How?

24. What are the names of the week that begin with the letter ‘T’? today, tomorrow, Tuesday thursday

 

………………………………

Usage of Comma

1. When two separate clauses connect using conjunctions

like or, but, yet, and, so, for. Note that if they come in the same clause, there is no need to add the comma. Let’s see a few examples:

·         I was going to play the role, but she replaced me in the play.

·         We practiced day and night, yet we lost the match.

·         She scored an excellent grade, so mom took her for a party.

·         I could come to your house or, we could go to Tracy’s. (We could go to your house or Tracy’s – Note how in this sentence the clause hasn’t changed which is why there is no comma before the conjunction)

2. A comma separates different objects in the same sentence

·         Food, clothing, and shelter are the three basic human needs.

·         Our school is participating in the inter-school footballcricket and volleyball matches held at DPS.

Note: Don’t separate the subject and verb using the camera as is done often. Example – My friend Mila, is a wonderful dancer – This is an incorrect sentence. The correct way to write this is – My friend Mila is a wonderful dancer.

3. Comma after introductory clauses

If the beginning of a sentence is with an adverbial phrase, it’s often followed by a comma but it doesn’t have to be, especially if it’s short. As a thumb rule, if the phrase is longer than about four words, use the comma. You can also use a comma with a shorter phrase when you want to emphasize it or add a pause for literary effect. So, this one is more like the grammar of your choice and what sounds better.

·         Clutching her purse, Martha ran out of the cafe. Perplexed by her friend’s sudden change in mood, Bruno stayed surprised.

·         After the concert, John was signing autographs.

·         In front of the garden, there is a candy shop.

·         Without knowing the full story, she wrote the article about it.

·         In 1992, life was very different than now.

·         Suddenly, a giant crocodile appeared in the sapphire water.

Note: A sentence can be misread and the meanings can completely be changed if not for the comma. For example:

4. Comma before a question tag

This one, I’m sure, you have noticed before. A question tag is nothing but a short phrase or maybe just a single word that is added at the end of a statement to turn it into a question. Question tags are often used to encourage readers to agree with them. A question tag should be preceded by a comma, as a thumb rule.

·         The Sun rises from the East, right?

·         These quaint houses are beautiful, aren’t they?

·         Ladakh looks so wonderful, doesn’t it?

5. Commas as interrupters or for enclosing details

Sometimes thoughts intervene within a sentence and that is conveyed using a comma. These are called Interrupters. Interrupters are small thoughts that come up in the middle of a sentence to show emotion, tone, or emphasis. A phrase that adds extra information to the sentence but could be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence. These elements are used in a sentence using commas.

·         She was, apparently, the jolliest person in the room. –Notice how you can practically remove the word between the commas and the sentence can still be complete, minus a certain emotion.

·         My sister, unlike me, is very well-behaved.

·         The music, I was happy to see, was becoming more folkish in the night.

6. Commas are used in dates

There are different ways to write a date. When writing a date in month-day-year format, write the year with commas. Also, if you are referencing to a day of the week and a date, use a comma.

·         On Monday, May 16, there will be a written exam conducted for all students of grade 9 of Mount Mary’s school. Please attend the revision lectures on Friday, May 13, 2018, to get on top of all your subject knowledge studied so far.

·         August 15, 1947, was an important day in Indian history. My grandfather was born on Sunday, August 10, 1947.

7. Use commas before a making a direct quote from someone

There’s such a thing called an attributive tag which is nothing but phrases like “he said” or “she claimed”. They identify the speaker of a quote or part of someone’s dialogue. These tags can come before, after, or even in the middle of a quote. Always remember to use commas to separate attributive tags from quotations. Let’s see a few examples to understand this better:

·         “You are a big monster with black horns on your head!” my sister yelled.

·         The ambassador said, “These flowers are of top-notch quality in America.”

·         “If you know how to bake a cake,” Pranali said, “you know how to win the hearts of all human beings.”

·         “My uncle was a great warrior in the Kargil war,” my friend remarked.

·         “When you come out of the bathroom,” my mother yelled, “don’t leave the floor all wet!”

8. Comma while using the words/phrases – too, such as, as well as:

When it comes to certain connecting words, there’s a way to use a comma there as well. When there are two clauses enlisted while using the phrase “as well as”, always use a comma.

·         Butter, as well as cheese, adds intense aroma and flavor to any food item.

When we are introducing multiple things using the phrase “such as”, we use a comma.

·         Amphibians, such as frogs, snakes, and lizards hibernate for weeks together.

Well, now that you know where to use the comma, go ahead and try some examples yourself. All the best!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment