Tuesday 26 June 2018

DO IDENTITIES REALLY MATTER?

DO IDENTITIES REALLY MATTER?

When I was born,
I was for my parents a son,
For my elder brothers and sisters, a younger brother,
For my uncles and aunts, a nephew, a cousin, or any other.

 I was also a grandson for my grandparents.
When I went to school, I was one of the students,
Whom my teachers loved, guided and taught.
After my college studies, to be a good teacher I fought.

First, I was known as a tutor, then a lecturer.
For a few and myself hitherto a petty poet in Oriya and English.
When I married, I became a husband to my wife, and my picture,
Was addressed in many different names then since!

When comes down my descendant
A father will be called, by him or her or them, I,
When he or she or they  marry, a father-in-law, they will chant,
For the child of the child, a grandfather, if be under the sky.

Although, from the cradle to the grave an innumerable names I take,
My extraneous identity often varies, but the Self is not fake.
It takes Its forms corresponding to Its past, and present action,
So, whatever they call me, I must first be a being human.

@Shankar D Mishra  17.7.2017

N.B: This poem was written in 2003 when I married and was yet to be a father.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderfully narrated all the names of relations and positions in a family and society. As you said it is do clear, that one who takes birth is the same at all times when identifies by his original name human in animal kingdom; gender name; that's all. If we go still deeper with spiritual vision, then only Atma or Self. At this stage no change at all. Hence we cannot find any difference between us and finally the a big problem exists in this society. Individual identity again.
    Finally, we solved it by using a different/unique name for each individual.
    Shankarji, you have touched all this in this dingle poem.... beautifully done. 👌👍👏👏😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq so much dear Sir for your encouraging feedback.

      Delete
  2. Tq dear Sir for your enjoying my poems.

    ReplyDelete