Thursday 2 May 2024

DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH FOR THE BEGINNERS


Put the following Direct Speech sentences into Indirect Speech:

 

Exercise : 1

1. He says, "I like animals."

2. Misha will say, "She is busy now."

3. Pritam says, "I cannot help you."

4. He has told you, "I am coming."

5. Raman will say to you, "I am tired of this work."

6. Anil says, "We are now ready."

7. Kitty says, "I have a toy for you."

8. Leela is saying to her mother, "I have learnt my lesson."

9. Mohan says, "I have been working since morning." 

10. Mrs. Das says, "I will give Sunita a new frock."

11. The magician says, "I will show you a new trick."

12. The teacher has said to him, "You are not working hard enough

13. My servant says, "I will answer the phone."

14. He will say, "I do not know you."

15. Mohan says, "I am giving a party this week to all my friends"

 

Exercise : 2

1. I said to my teacher, "I need your help, sir."

2. He said to me, "You are wasting your time."

3. The boy said to his mother, "I have spoken the truth."

4. He said, "My cow died last week."

5. He said to her, "I shall go to Delhi tomorrow."

6. Sheela said to me, "You may stay here."

7. I said to her, "Mohan met me last year."

8. She said to her husband, "They will be here soon."

9. Rama said to me, "I can't come next week."

10. Misha said to her, "I am living in Delhi."

11. He said, "I can come any time next week."

12. The mother said, "They went away yesterday.'

13. He said to the doctor, "I fell downstairs."

14. I said to him, "I'll leave it on the table."

15. She said, "I have been very stupid."

16. He said to the teacher, "I'm sorry I'm late."

17. She said, "I have broken my glasses."

18. Mohan said, "I was ill yesterday."

19. The boy said, "I have never been here before."

20. She said to her teacher, "I have done my homework."

21. The doctor said to her, "You may have to stay in bed for a week

22. I said to her, "I don't know what he'll say."

 

Exercise : 3

1. He said to the beggar, "Go away!"

2. I said to her, "Come here!"

3. The teacher said to the boys, "Run away !"

4. The Principal said to him, "Pay the fees at once!"

5. They said to her, "Play the piano!"

6. She said to me, "Have a cup of tea."

7. I said to my servant, "Clean my shoes."

8. The mother said to her son, "Wash your face."

9. He said to us, "Give me another."

10. She said to her friend, "Come at five o'clock."

11. He said to me, "Clean it yourself."

12. I said to the shopkeeper, "Wrap it up in a piece of paper."

13. The teacher said to Arun, "Do your buttons up."

14. I said to Misha, "Leave it on the piano."

15. The officer said to the clerk, "Mind your language."

16. He said to me, "Shut the door."

17. My father said to me, "Trust in God."

18. The boy said to his father, "Forgive me this time."

19. The teacher said to the boys, "Be attentive in the class."

20. The beggar said to me, "Give me a piece of bread."

21. Mohan said to his servant, "Go and post this letter at once."

22. He said to her, "Get your hair cut."

23. The teacher said to the boys, "Look at the blackboard."

24. My father said to me, "Do not waste your time."

25. She said to him, "Don't sit on my bed."

26. I said to Mohan, "Don't try to be funny."

27. The officer said to him, "Don't put your elbow on the table."

28. The father said to the children, "Don't spill it on the carpet."

 

Exercise : 4

1. I said to her, "Have you lost your pen?"

2. Mohan said to his driver, "Is the car ready?"

3. The teacher said John, "Do you know Hindi?"

4. She said to me, "Are you going to school today?"

5. I said to Abdul, "Are you coming to the meeting?"

6. She said to Richa, "Are you enjoying yourself?"

7. I said, "Does she always wear silk stockings?"

8. She said to me, "Are you going for a walk?"

9. Misha said, "Do I look all right?"

10. The girls said, "Are the grapes sour?"

11. He said, "Is it time to go now?"

12. I said, "Will the taxi be here at eight o'clock?"

13. He said to me, "Can you hear that noise?"

14. I said to my servant, "Have you cleaned my shoes?"

15. She said, "May I use your telephone?"

16. The traveller said, "Do you sleep in the afternoons?”

17. The traveller said to me, "Can you tell me the wayoonste station?”

18. Hari said to his father, "May I go to the pictures tonig?”

 19. Pran said to Prem, "Were you present at the meeting last night?”

20 I said to her, “Do you want my help?”

21. She said to her maid, "Have you cleaned the room?"

22. He said to her, "Is it raining very heavily now?"

 

Exercise : 5

1. My father said to me, "Where are you going?"

2. The teacher said to her, "How did you do that?"

3. 1.The inspector said, "What is the matter?"

4. She said, "Who will come to the pictures with me?"

5. The old man said to me, "Where is the station?"

6. She said to her brother, "Which is your pen?"

7. My father said to me, "Why have you failed in your test?"

8. The teacher said to Mohan, "Why are you telling a lie!"

9. The policeman said to me, "What are you doing here?"

10. I said to him, "Why did you not tell me the truth?"

11. I said to the tailor, "When will my dress be finished?"

12 My sister said to me, "Why are you so sad?"

14. The librarian said to Misha, "Which book are you taking?'

15. My friend said to me, "Where shall we meet tonight?"

16. She said to me, "How do you know that?"

17. I said to Manu, "How do you like this cake?"

18. He said, "Where shall I go?"

19. He said to me, "Where have you put my pencil?"

20. I said to her, "What is he thinking?"

 

Exercise : 6

1. The father said to his son, "Honesty is the best policy."

2. My friend said, "I never tell lies."

3. He said, "Truth always wins."

4. My friend said to me, "I go out for a walk daily."

5. The teacher said to us, "The earth moves around the sun."

6. I said to him, "Might is right."

 

N.B. The above questions have been collected from Holy Faith grammar book.




No comments:

Post a Comment