Saturday 10 March 2018

FIRST, LET ME BE WHAT I WANT OTHERS TO BE FOR ME!





FIRST, LET ME BE WHAT I WANT OTHERS TO BE FOR ME!

When I am a child,
I eagerly want my Parents to be tolerant enough and mild;
But, Alas! The moment, I am one of the Parents,
I, promptly, become too dominating, relentless and wild!

When I am a student,
I keenly want my Teachers to be lenient enough and prudent;
But, Alas! The moment, I am one of the Teachers,
I, in no time, to undue annoyance and supremacy, I give vent!

When I am a purchaser,
I want my Sellers to be generous enough and compassionate;
But, Alas! The moment, I am one of the Sellers,
I, instantly, give shelter to adulteration and greed inordinate!

Thus, should I first become what I want others to be for me,
I will, without doubt, be called one day a Kalpavriksha tree!

Glossary:
Eagerly – enthusiastically
Promptly - quickly
Relentless - harsh
Keenly – wholeheartedly
Lenient – soft/ merciful
Prudent – sensible/ cautious
In no time – very soon
Annoyance – irritation/anger
Supremacy – superiority
Give vent to - find expression for
Generous – kind/ liberal
Compassionate – kind/ sympathetic
Instantly - at once
Adulteration – corruption/ defilement
Inordinate – excessive

©Shankar D Mishra 13. 10.2020
Please share & forward this poem.
WhatsApp no. 08270604524
Thank u all.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing Composition of words and feelings.. Nice Piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and amazing words...Best wishes, Sir

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful piece. Captures a lot of life's lesson in a few short sentences. An introspective piece calling for self-awareness, first from the persona within, and now forcing others too to reconsider their pattern and personal approach to life. That indeed, one way or another, we have flouted, and do flout the golden rule of life- to do unto others as we desire done to us. This is a rich piece, taking us back to how we felt in our painful moments, and that the only thing we desire at such is kindness, compassion and mercy. Indeed, a man's desire is his kindness. Well written and composed Shankar-ji.

    ReplyDelete