Friday 23 October 2020

PAGE 153 to 199, SDM'S KEY TO B. N. ACHARYA'S STRUCTURAL APPROACH TO TRANSLATION, BOOK -2

BOOK by B.N ACHARYA PAGE 153 to 199




Page 153




1. A rose is not prettier/more beautiful than a lotus.
2. Spring is more pleasant than Autumn.
3. The city of Kolkata is  bigger than the city of Cuttack.
4. I am more industrious than you.
5. Hari is the best boy in our class.
6. India is not wealthier than the USA.
7. The Mahanadi is the biggest of all the rivers of Odisha.
8. The Himalayas is the longest of all the mountains of India.
9. Everest is the highest of all the peaks of the Himalayas.

Page 154



1. The Moon is as white as silver.
2. He is as quiet and innocent as a lamb.
3. I am as brave/bold as a tiger.
4. You are as luxurious as a prince.
5. He is as industrious as an ant.
6. His heart was as hard as stone.
7. He is as calm and quiet as an elephant.

Exercise: XIII, A

1. There was a dense forest in the country called of Gandhar.
2. Once, while wandering in the forest, a young man saw a deer. 
3. Having seen him, the deer fled in fear.
4. Although the young man was tired, he ran after that/him.
5. The deer fell down when it could not run any more.
6. Being very pleased/happy, the young man wanted to catch that/him.
7. But, st that time he heard a sound from the sky, "O young man! Since/As you are a hero, you should not kill this innocent creature."
8. Having heard this, the young man neither caught nor killed the deer.

Page 155: Exercise - B




1. You have never been/gone to Puri.
2. Tell, if ever you want to go to Puri, then I will take you with me.
3. Having halted two days there, we shall return to Bhubaneswar.
4. Even if there is no Sea near Bhubaneswar, it is a beautiful place.
5. You will stay there till school opens.
6. As/Since you are my friend, I shall specially help you there.

Page 1 57




1. I saw his smiling face.
2. There is no beauty of a fading flower.
Or, A fading flower has beauty.
3. We bathed in a flowing stream.
4. A flying bird is lovely to look at.
5. The child jumped out of a running train.
6. Only God can save/protect a dying man.
Or, God alone can save/protect a dying man.

Page 158


1. There lived some birds in a tree.
2. One morning they saw a fowler coming towards that tree.
3. Having seen him coming, they flew away.
4. Having run, the fowler went after them.
5. But, he could not catch the flying birds.
6. Having returned, he saw a flowing river near the tree.
7. Having seen some swans swimming in that river, he caught one of them.

Page 162



1. Who lives in this house?
2. Whom shall I give this pen?
3. Whose book have you taken?
4. Who teaches you?
Or, Who does teach you?
5. Whose pen do you like?
6. Who comes to school daily?
Or, Who does come to school daily?
7. Whom did teacher scold?
8. Whose pocket is empty?
9. Whom shall I be scared of?
10. Whose name shall I write down?
11. Whom are you looking for/searching for?

Page 163



1. Tell me who can do the work.
2. I know whom you have beaten.
3. All the children can tell whose book this is.
4. Let me know whom you have given my pen.
5. God knows who is good and who is bad.
6. Let him say whose cycle is the best.
7. Let me know who you are.
8. Teacher will tell whose handwriting is good.

Page 164



1. Ram alone knows which book is his.
2. Teacher will tell which sum is right/correct and which sum is wrong/incorrect.
3. Tell me which work you like more.
4. Which house you are living in?
5. Which pen are you writing with in the examination?
6. Which place have these old people/men come from?
7. Which book are you looking/searching for?
8. The historians can tell which battle is famous in history.

Page 165



1. What is the name of your capital?
2. Which room do you study in?
3. What did you said to/ tell the teacher?
4. Which book do you like more?
5. Which college does he study in?
6. What does a deer look like?
7. I don't know what I should read for the Examination.
8. I have heard what father said to/told you.
9. Doctor knows what medicine can cure you.
10. I could not understand what the teacher told.

Page 166



1. Where have these children come from?
2. Where will they go?
3. Where do the tigers and bears live?
4. Where does your father serve?
5. Where can we find elephants?
6. I don't know where my brother works.
7. No one has seen where the sky has come to an end.
8. The sea begins where the river comes to an end.

Page 167



1. When do you get up?
2. When will they finish their work?
3. When will the doctor come to the patient?
4. When will the school open?
5. When has the patient taken the medicine?
6. The doctor will tell when the patient should take the medicine.
7. I could not know when the old man died/passed away/breathed his last.
8. The Inspector has not informed me when he will visit your school.
9. The child could not tell when the motor vehicle passed through that way.

Page 168



1. How does man die?
2. How were the giants fighting with the gods?
3. How can I show up/turn up before the teacher?
4. How does a blind man walk?
5. How will these boys find/get food to eat?
6. How does a farmer plough/till the land?
7. The doctor alone knows how the patient can survive/live.
8. I myself do not know how to reach Cuttack, and whom to meet there.
9. A few people know how a locomotive/a railway engine works.
10. Most of the people do not know how an aeroplane flies.
11. A great many people cannot understand how a ship floats on water.

Page 170 (Passage 1)



1. Why had you been/gone to the market?
2. Why had the students not studied literature?
3. Why does the Sun rise in the East?
4. Why does it set in the West?
5. Why does the water of the rivers and the ponds dry up/get dried?
6. Why does the water get muddied in the rains/rainy days?
7. Tell me why you have come so early.
8. A very few people know why the Sun rises in the East.
9. Tell me/Let me know why you have not worked out the sums.
10. The scientists know why the sky is so much blue.

Page 170 (Passage (2) Exercise XIV A



1. My uncle's house is in the village of Chandan Pur.
2. I don't know who my uncle is.
3. Having gone to his village tomorrow, I shall meet him.
4. Having seen me, he will be happy, and will ask me what my name is.
5. Being happy, I shall tell him my name.
6. Then he will ask me how I am studying.
7. I shall tell him what books I am going through now.
8. Uncle will teach me how I can write a good handwriting.
9. I shall from my uncle's house after the holidays.


1. What is your name?
2. Where are you studying?
3. Why have you come here?
4. Have you got your father's permission to come here?
5. I know who your father is.
6. I also know where he works.
7. He is a good artist/craftsman.
8. He knows how to draw good drawings.
9. Tell me what he is doing now.
10. Where are your other brothers, and how are they?
11. Do they know why you have come here?

Page 171


1. How untruthful you are!
Or, What a liar you are!
2. How beautiful the sea is!
3. How heavy/weighty the stone is!
4. How sweet your tone/voice is!
5. How sharp the knife is!
6. How cruel/unkind you are!
7.  How clear the sky is!
8. May he be happy!
9. May your father live long!
10. What a lovely/beautiful place Kashmir is!
11. May you live long!

Page 172



1. If I were guilty, I would confess my guilt.

Or, Were I guilty, I would confess my guilt.

2. I wish that my father were here!

Or, Would that my father were here!

3. If he were here, he would beat me.

Or, Were he here, he would beat me.

4. I wish he were successful!

Or, I wish he would succeed!

5. If he were you, he would not go away.

Or, Were he you, he would not go away.

6. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Or, Were wishes horses, beggars would ride.

7. If my father had been here, he would have beaten you.

Or, Had my father been here, he would have beaten you.

8. If it had been possible, my life would have been happy.

Or, Had it been possible, my life would have been happy.

Page 173



1.      1.  Ram has to write.

2.       2. Teacher has to go to Cuttack.

3.       3. The magistrate had to come here.

4.       4. You will have to confess everything before the police.

5.       5. The doctor will have to give medicines for the patient.

6.       6. The patient will have to take medicines and sleep.

7.       7. The soldiers will have to fight.

Page 175


1.      1.  Our house is five miles away from Cuttack.

2.      2.  I had to go to Cuttack yesterday.

3.      3.  But, since/as I had no cycle; I had to go on foot.

4.    4.    But, since/as I had no cycle; I had to go on foot.

5. But, due to having no cycle, I had to go on foot.

5.      6.  My brother is a teacher of Peary Mohan academy.

6.    7.    I had to meet him in Cuttack.

7.      8.   Having seen me he asked me why I had gone.

8.   9.    I shall have to return home by the evening.


Page 176



1.      1.  You need not speak so much.

2.     2.   Children need not study Sanskrit.

3.     3.   One need not go to school on Sunday.

4.      4.  Since/AS I am with you, you need not fear anyone.

5.     5.   The idle need not hope for success.

6.     6.   The industrious need not be scared of wants.

7.       7. If you fear God, you need not be afraid of anyone else.






Page 178



1.       He used to read the Geeta every morning.

2.       When I was a child, I used to take exercise every evening.

3.       While I was staying at Puri, I used to take bath in the sea.

4.       The beggar used to come to our village every month.

5.       In ancient times the kings used to give/inflict/impose severe punish to the thieves/robbers.

6.       The tiger used to come to a stream/brook.

7.       Ram Krishna Param Hans used to worship Goddess Kali every morning and evening as well.

Page 179



 EXERCISE - XV

1. One morning, my father said, "Ram! You will have to go to Cuttack today.

2. There is no need to look for any other companion.

or, You need not look for any other companion.

3. You will have to meet the Magistrate today.

4. Having heard this, I asked father, "Why should I go alone?

5. Let other five persons of the village go with me."

6. Having heard me, father told, "Let that be so."

7. At that time a businessman of our village used to go to Cuttack.

8. Having carried out/obeyed the orders of my father I had to go to Cuttack with that person.  

B.


1.       Kapilendra Dev was a religious king.

2.       He had eighteen sons.

3.       He used to go to temple to visit Lord Jagannath everyday.

4.       Once Lord Jagannath said to him in dream, “O king! You need not be sad.”

5.       You have to make Purusottam the king.

6.       The brothers of Purusottam used to quarrel among themselves.

7.       They did not love Purusottam.

8.       One day, having called all his sons Kapilendra Dev told them, “Listen, Purusottam will have to the king. 9. You need not hate him. 10. You all have to obey my advice.”

11.   Having heard the advice of father, the sons felt/grew sad.


Page 180


1. At that time the brothers of Purusottam used to quarrel among themselves.
2. They did not love Purusottam.
3. One day having called all the sons,  Kapilendra Dev said, "Listen,  Purusottam will have to be the king.
4. You need not hate him.
5. You will have to obey my orders."
6. Having heard this orders of their father the sons felt sad/unhappy.

Page 181



1.       The school sits at 7 o’ clock in the month of June.

2.       He lives at Chandini Chouk in Cuttack.

3.       There are many saree mills in Mumbai.

4.       There are many poor people in India.

5.       We pray to God at 7 pm every evening.

6.       Children play at 4 o’ clock in the afternoon.

7.       He lives in his own house in the village.


Page 182



1.       You will grow old after some years.

2.       They had finished/completed the work after a few days.

3.       Children will play after 4 o’ clock in the afternoon.

4.       The labourers completed the work after a month.

5.       Your work will be completed in about a year.

6.       They will have returned to the village after a few months.


Page 185



1.       The child has been ill since yesterday.

2.       I shall study in your school from next month.

3.       The teacher had been absent from school for many days.

4.       He has not gone to play since 7 in the morning today.

5.       The Examination will start/commence from Monday next.

6.       It had not rained for many days in this country.

7.  My father will not stay at home for about a week.

8I I have not met him for the last few days.


Page 189




1.      1.  There came the flood in the river due to heavy rains.

2.       You will suffer due to your foolishness.

3.       I cannot walk owning to weakness.

4.       He failed on account of his idleness.

5.       On account of the storm the tree fell down/ collapsed.

6.       Owing to old age he could not come here.

7.       7 on account of poverty they died.

Page 190



1.       On the ground of illness I could not go to school.

2.       On the ground of his merit/competence he received a scholarship.

3.       On the ground of poverty he could not study in a college.

4.       They dismissed him from service on the ground of his inefficiency.


Page 191


1.       You may use a coat instead of a bed sheet.

2.       The patients take milk instead of meat.

3.       It is better to be the head of a jackal than to be the tail of a lion.

4.       He went to Kolkata instead of going to Puri.

5.       It is better to rear a buffalo than to rear two cows.

6.       We may eat bread instead of rice.

 

Page 192


1.       He got a scholarship by dint of his merit.

2.       He killed the tiger with a sword.

3.       You can defeat your enemies by virtue of intelligence.

4.       People grow powerful by means of learning.

5.       Impossible things become possible by virtue of prayer.

6.       One can become great for sometime by means of wealth, but one can become great forever by means of honest deeds.

 

Page 193


1.       The police have known nothing regarding this matter/case.

2.       I asked/enquired of the doctor with regard to his health.

3.       He had consulted his uncle with respect to his future.

4.       I talk too little in regard to myself.

5.       He has no idea with regard to lands.

6.       Students know a lot regarding Akbar from History.

7.       The teacher told us many things with regard to Gandhiji.

 

Page 194


1.     1  In view of his weakness he should take rest.

2.       In view of his old age he should not eat meat.

3.       Considering their labour they will get rewards.

4.       The child got a scholarship in view of his merit and poverty.

5.       In consideration of your service you will get respect.

6.       In consideration of merit/qualification your brother is better than you.

7.       In consideration of justice they are all equal.

 

Page 195


1.       Students should study in accordance with the instruction of their teacher.

2.       The labourers worked in accordance with the orders of their master.

3.       They constructed/built the house in accordance with the plan.

4.       According to Gandhiji students should become Brahmacharies.

5.       According to Shankar God is one.

6.       You will be happy if you work in accordance with my advice.

 

Page 196


1.       He went to Puri with a view to/ with a purpose of visiting Lord Jagannath.

2.       He bought fishing net with a view to/ with a purpose of fishing.

3.       We eat in order to live/survive.

4.       We study in order to gain knowledge.

5.       He went to Kolkota with a view to/ with a purpose of purchasing a motor car.

6.       We should serve the poor with a view to/ with a purpose of making God happy.

 

Page 197


1.       He will suffer as a result of his foolishness.

2.       My father became very weak in consequence of his illness.

3.       He died young/at a very young age as a result of wants.

4.       The goods become dearer as a result of war.

5.       He failed as a result of his idleness.

6.       He could not do well as a result of absence/ remaining absent from the class.

Page 199


1.       As soon as the peacocks saw the rains, they danced.

2.       As soon as the police came, the thieves ran away/ fled.

3.       As soon as the bell rang, the students went home.

4.       As soon as the child saw mother, it became very happy.

5.       No sooner did we see him, we ran away.

6.       No sooner did the bell ring, than the teacher entered the class.

7.       No sooner did I reach home than father called me. / Hardly had I reached home when father called me. 


Copyright: Dr. Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.

N. B. To read the rest of the translations written by B. N. Acharya, search on Google "SDM'S KEY TO STRUCTURAL APPROACH TO TRANSLATION, BOOK -1 or 2 or 3", and topic wise Grammar rules by Dr. Shankar D Mishra 

Please share the links to your friends and relatives to help them know all the answers of the translations at home. You can give your valuable suggestions and corrections for the inadvertently committed errors to me through my WhatsApp number 8270604524. Thank you. 🙏🌹❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment