Monday 5 April 2021

ODISHA BOARD, STD. X KEY TO GRAMMAR QUESTIONS

 SELF STUDY MATERIALS ON LEARN AND PRACTISE GRAMMAR



CLASS-X ACTIVITY-1He gets up early every day. He brushes his teeth and has his bath. He takes a quick breakfast. He does not want to be punished at school. So, he sets out early to reach school in time. He sits on the same bench in my classroom. He has straight hair and a sharp nose. What is his name?

ACTIVITY-2 ANS. I am an animal, people keep me at home. But I watch their houses. I have a long body with a curved tail. I have a sharp muzzle with two hanging ears. I have a keen sense of hearing. My body is covered with fur. I have four long, slender legs. So I run (can run) quickly. When I see food, I wag my tail. I feed on bread, rice meat biscuits etc. I snarl at the strangers. Then guess who I am.

ACTIVITY- 3 Ans.  Right sentences for “A” Water freezes at 0 degree C. Bhubaneswar is the capital of Odisha The earth goes round the sun. Viswanath Ananda plays chess. The Prime Minister of India lives in New Delhi. Ans. Right sentences for “B” Oil floats on water. A rose is a kind of flower. Sachin Tendulkar Plays cricket. Jana Gana Mana Adhi……….is Our National Anthem Washington DC is the Capital of the U.S.A

ACTIVITY-4 Ans. I live in Sambalpur. She’s staying with her aunt at the moment. Toffees are very sweet. His English is getting better all the time. I usually go to school on foot. Look two swans are carrying a tortoise. c. Habitual action. e. something happening over a period of time b. permanent sate or permanent fact. e. something happening over a period of time. c. Habitual action. d. Something happening now. 

ACTIVITY- Ans. I see a farmer going to the field. I notice some girls pick flowers. I watch a flight of birds in the sky.

ACTIVITY-6 Ans. Seema : Hello Lopa, what are you doing these days? Lopa : Nothing much, I am learning how to dance in a dancing school. What about you? Seema : Me? I am working at a training school. The school offers lessons on cooking.

Lopa : Do you like the job? Seema : Yes, I prefer this job because I am always learning a lot how to cook while working here. Lopa : What are they teaching now? Seema : Right now they are giving lessons on Chinese food. You know, Chinese dishes taste so good. Lopa : Can I join the classes some day? Seema: Sure. They want more and more students to join their school. You are welcome. Lopa : Thank you.

ACTIVITY-7 Ans. Ashok : What are these people doing here? What has happened? Bini : There is an accident. Ashok :An accident? What has happened exactly? Bini :A cat ran across the road in front of a car. The driver tried to apply the brake and hit the tree on the side of the road. Ashok : When did it happen? Bini :About ten minutes ago. Ashok: Has anyone called for an ambulance? Bini: No, not yet. But the police have arrived.  They will take care of that. Ashok : This is the second accident we have had here this week. Bini : We should have a road hump here. 

ACTIVITY-8 Ans. Mrs. Das has been working hard. Mr Das hasn’t been feeling well all day. Their son Ashok has been watching TV all evening. Their daughter Bini has been buying clothes. There has been raining since the evening.

ACTIVITY-9 I have been finishing my class work (x) Have you worked in the garden? (x) Have you been breaking the window? (x) You have cried. (x) We have been repairing the roof.(x)

ACTIVITY-10 Ans. Rahul: Did you see Jagu last night? Bakul: No, but I have just come from his house. He is in bed. He has been very ill.  For the last three days, actually. 

Rahul : I am sorry to hear that. So that is why he did not come to the party last night. 

Bakul : The Doctor has seen him twice by now. He is coming again tomorrow. Oh, by the way, Jagu has sent your book. 

ACTIVITY-11 Ans. As soon as the alarm clock rang, I woke up. After I had cleaned my teeth, I took bath.When I had breakfast, I got dressed.When I looked at my watch, I brushed my teeth.When I looked at my watch, I realized that I had been late.When I arrived at the school, I remembered that it was Sunday.

ACTIVITY-12 Ans. When the bell had rung, the pupils stood for the prayer.

After father had a cup of tea, he set to work.The patient had died by the time the doctors came.When the rabbit woke up, the tortoise had touched the finishing point. After the meeting had ended, the people returned home. 

ACTIVITY-1 Ans.

Once when I was reading in my room, I heard a lot of noise outside. I came out and saw that many people were running in a particular direction. They were shouting at the top of their voice. They all had buckets and water pots in their hands. I asked them what the matter was. Somebody pointed at a house at the end of our village. I saw that the house burning. People were throwing water at the house in order to put out the fire. Very soon the fire came under control. 

ACTIVITY-14 Ans.

I was walking along the street one day when I saw something strange. I noticed a person of the same height as me and had the same hair style. He wore clothes of the same colour and was carrying a school bag just as mine. He was just crossing the road ahead of me but he did not avoid me at all. I was sure of that. As he went across the road, I followed him. 

ACTIVITY-15 Ans.

Federer : My best moment in the match was when I realized that the game had finished and I had become the champion. I won at last. At that moment I had become the best Tennis player of the world. 

Reporter : And when you won, how long had you been playing Tennis?

Federer : I started just before I finished school. That means, I had been playing for about six years when I won the Wimbledon. 

Reporter : You had beaten some good players before you won that tournament.

Federer : Yes, Ever since I started as a Tennis professional, I had been winning games regularly, until my injury. 

ACTIVITY-16 Ans.

A friend is trying to move a heavy table. You say, “Shall I give you a hand “?

“There is a lot of cleaning to do. You do the cleaning and I will do the drying “ 

A friend is carrying a lot of books to the library. You are going there anyway. You say, “I shall take them there if you like.”

I shall go and ask the clerk if he has a spare key. 

ACTIVITY-17. Ans. When I wake up tomorrow. I‘ll rush to my little garden.

I’ll play with the little butterfly. I‘ll hope with weaver-bird. 

ACTIVITY-18. Ans. I am going to carry it. (x) I am going to see you (x) I am going to post (x) I am going to go x) I ‘ll work (x)

ACTIVITY-19 Ans. Where will you eat tonight? At home, I have got a cookery book, so I‘ll make a curry.Correct- I am going to make a curry.Why not come to my place? I am going to cook us both something. Correct- I will cook something for both of us. Won’t you go to meet your Grandpa? Correct- Aren’t you going to meet your Grandpa? No he is left for the village; I am not going to meet him for a month or so. O.K I am going to come round at 8 and I‘ll bring some ice-cream.Correct-I’ll come round at 8 and I’ll bring ice-cream. Fine. I’ll see you then. 

ACTIVITY-20 Ans. Mina: Would you like to come to watch a movie this weekend? Nina: I’d like to, but I am afraid I won’t have time. Mina: Why? What are you going to do? Nina: Well, my father is arriving back from Delhi. He’s been there for six months and we’re  having a big party to celebrate. Mina : Won’t he be tried too for a party after his long train journey ? Nina: Yes and no doubt he will have no proper food during the journey. So , on Saturday he can take it easy. But on Sunday, all the family are coming on a picnic. I am preparing/ am going to prepare things all day on Saturday. Mina : What a lot of work for you. Nina: I don’t mind. Other members of my family are helpful and we are well organized. In fact, I will see someone about hiring a cook this afternoon. So, I must go now or I won’t get to their shop before they are closed. Mina: I hope everything will go well for you.Nina: I am sure it will be a great day. Provided the weather remains fine.

ACTIVITY-21 Ans. I am participating in a drawing competition in my school.I am monitoring the class after the class.I am collecting money for giving farewell to our headmaster.I am going to the market with my friends to buy a few things. I am joining the birthday party of my friend Jatin in the evening. 

ACTIVITY-22 Ans. Our school closes at 4.30. I will be taking some snacks at home at five O’ clock. Our school closes at 4.30 I will have reached home by five O’ clock. They won’t have finished painting the school building until next week. You will be taking a test on English Grammar this day next week. Our teacher will be working here for next five years. By the time you read this , I will have finished answering all the questions. 

ACTIVITY-23 Ans. Has Shall Have Has Works Must

ACTIVITY-24 Ans. Declarative Imperative Interrogative Exclamatory Imperative Interrogative Imperative Interrogative

ACTIVITY-25 Ans. How fine the weather is ! (fine-adjective) What an intelligent girl she is ! (noun phrase) How fluently he speaks ! (adverb) What a sharp memory she has got ? (noun phrase) What a beautiful night ! (it is) (noun phrase) What a costly necklace she has put on ! (noun phrase)

ACTIVITY-26 ANS The examination is at hand . Make the best use  of your time. Concentrate on your studies. Avoid watching television. Take the advice of your teachers when you are in difficulty . Don’t get nervous. Always hope for the best. 

ACTIVITY-27 Ans. He finished his exercises and put away his books.He must not be late, otherwise , he will be punished. Make haste or you will be late. He is rich; yet/but he is not contented .He was horrified for he saw bloodstain on the floor. Or, he saw bloodstain on the floor; so he was horrified. He tried hard but he did not succeed. They took every precaution, yet/but they suffered from the disease.I have a lot of work, so I must do it now. Be good and you will be happy.He practiced daily, so he became an expert player.Or, He became an expert player for the practiced daily.

ACTIVITY-28 Ans. Not only energy but also patience is necessary for success in life (noun) I have left my glasses either on the bus or at the office . (place adverbial) He can speak neither English nor Hindi. (noun) The boy is not only very healthy but also very happy. (Adjective phrase) Or, The boy is both very healthy and very happy. He drinks neither tea nor coffee. (noun) She not only draws pictures neatly but also paints them beautiful. (verb) The artists will not only sing but also dance for us. (verb) Or, the artists will both sing and dance for us. 

ACTIVITY-29 Ans. He would go. (M.C) if you asked him. (S.C) You should not disbelieve. (M.C)  what he says.(S.C) He found the watch. (M.C) that he had lost.(S.C) He rose to greatness. (M.C) Though he was born of poor parents. (S.C). We thought. (M.C)  that he was a hermit.(S.C) A dog seldom bites. (M.C)   that barks. (S.C)  The place has recently been discovered. (M.C) where Buddha was buried (S.C) It always pours. (M.C) when it rains.( S.C)

ACTIVITY-30 Ans. I saw that some of the tables had been pushed into a corner. (Subordinate clause) (X) I chose the corner table, seated myself and started skimming through the news paper. (D) (CO-ordinative clause) When I had finished my lunch, I asked the waiter about her. (Subordinate clause ) (X) The curiously which I left about the girl persisted. (Subordinate clause) (X) I understood how she felt. (Subordinate clause) (X) Do you usually go this way ? (one clause ) (s) As we drank tea, I talked about India. (Subordinate clause) (X) When I go to that part of the country. I shall visit your brother’s grave and write to you. (X) When  I go to that part of the country (Subordinate clause). And write to you (co-ordinate clause) Maggie, take Mr. Gupta upstairs (S) (One clause) I got up and held her hand. (D) (Co-ordinate clause)

ACTIVITY-31 Ans  Are(for opportunities) Was is Are Is Is Has Were Are Is 

ACTIVITY-32 Ans. Has Is Is Is HAS Was/is Was Is Has Is

ACTIVITY-33 Ans Does Like Was Was Live Was Are Are Aren’t Have

ACTIVITY-34 Ans Are (people-real subject) Is, isn’t it ? Have Were Are Was(the young man) Travel Is Cause Is

ACTIVITY-35 Ans. Been  answering  Have finished doing Have been helped Have been studying Have been screened.

ACTIVITY-36 Ans. My friend will get the medal. I want it. I did the exercise. She helped me. Telling lies is a sin. I hate it. I will write a story by tomorrow. I expect it. You will write a story by tomorrow. I expect it. We wrote the story. Our teacher made it.

ACTIVITY-37 To buy-object To get into-object. Adjunct To save-adjunct Sin-complement To find(fault)-subject To go-complement (after the “be” verb “is”)

ACTIVITY-38 Ans. They made me do it. (do-bare infinitive) The gardner won’t let them touch the flowers.(touch-bare infinitive) We heard the beggar curse the rude boys. (course-bare infinitive) The clerk does not allow any one to touch the files. (to touch-to infinitive) Please remind him to write the letter. (to write-to infinitive)

ACTIVITY-39 Ans. The pupils make To meet People/me feel Me to phone Me/the audience Her(Lata) to study To come

ACTIVITY-40 Ans. Playing To go Swimming To study Talking Travelling travelling Read To see

ACTIVITY-41 Ans. Laugh To go Walk Sleep Clean To hear To come Climb

ACTIVITY-42 Ans. I don’t want anyone to know about it. I had asked Ashok to help me. The man told me not to touch that wire. Father allowed me to use his watch He advised me to report to thre police. Do you want East Bengal to win the football match ?

ACTIVITY-43 Ans To give To repeat Being To remain Telling To post To post

ACTIVITY-44 Ans. In On In On On, at In In At In Under Off Under At On/at Between Between At For Off

ACTIVITY-45 Ans. At By Since On Since Since On In On At In/by At

ACTIVITY-46 Ans. On On By With By In By In By

ACTIVITY-47 Ans.By At On For In At At At On 

ACTIVITY-48 Ans. To Of From From Inn On On Against Of

ACTIVITY-49 Ans. TO To To At With With Of In Of Of Of For

ACTIVITY-50 Ans. With In Between To In On With For With On

ACTIVITY-51 Ans. She is looking for a good dress.(NS)The enemy blew up the bridge.Or, the enemy blew the bridge up. (Up-particle, the bridge-noun phrase-object.The police are looking into the matter. (NS)Take off your shoes before coming up. Or, take your shoes off before coming in. (off-particle, your shoes –noun phrase or object) I called on an old friend yesterday. (NS) You should keep up your honour (NS) Can I count on your help during difficulties ? (NS)The government put down the revolt firmly (NS) The child hit on a plan to escape punishment.(NS)We called off the strike after an agreement.Or, we called the strike off after an agreement. (The strike-noun phrase/object, off-particle.)

ACTIVITY-52 Ans. Can you pick them out. We have pointed them out. It is time to wind it out.The soldiers pulled it down.Can you carry it on a little longer ?They threw them away.We closed it down as it wasn’t profitable You must lay it by.Please look it up.They have ruled it out. 

ACTIVITY-53 Ans.I came across a strange animal on my way to school. It is better to throw away broken chairs.It was a mistake. My friend pointed it out.Who is looking after this building nowadays. ?His son died . He has never got over his sorrows.This machine is making a lot of noise. Can you switch it off?She offered to help me, but I turned it down.I met Ramesh today. He was asking you after.This School is not running well. We will close it down.Your brother is in trouble. You must stand by him during his distress. 

ACTIVITY-54Ans.Look out ! there might be a snake there!Grandma looked after Fakirmohan.A team of experts is looking into this problem.I look upon Reeta as my sister.Please look up the word in a dictionary.Never look down upon girls; they can work wonders.I am looking forward to my birthday. Look at the following sentences.Everyone looked at in silence.After the morning prayers all the children looked upon Swami.Where is my grammar book ? I have been looking for it since morning. 

ACTIVITY-55 Ans. Make up Pack upSet upRun upBroke upGet upLooking up Turn up Blew up Bring up Did up Fixed up Give up Help up Keep up

ACTIVITY-56Ans.Brought up Turned up Called off Cut down Let down Make out Take after Sent for Kept on Gone through 

ACTIVITY-57 Ans. Break down : He broke down on hearing the news. Bring up : Educate –who will bring up this orphan ? Call out : call loudly-Mother called up Sonu. Come out : Appear-Flowers come out in spring. Cut down : Reduce-I cut down my expenses. Get into -He got into the bus. Give up : Discontinue-Please give up smoking.

Go for : Is known –He goes for a clever boy.Keep on: Continue-Keep on trying.

Let in : allow to come-The teacher let Madhabi in.

Make over : Translate-Please make this passage over to Odia

Put up : Stay- I am putting up in the school hostel. 

Set on : Instigate-Don’t set me on.

Take off : Remove-Take off your dirty shoes.


ACTIVITY-58 Ans. On Out  Off In With Down Upon By Out Down Off

Down Out Out Away

ACTIVITY-59 Ans. He has brought out a new book. We are tired. We must pack up now. You can carry on/go on/keep on working if you like.Will you stand by me during my bad days ? He has not been able to get over his fears.We dropped out from the match after a quarrel.The talk between India and Pakistan fell through due to may disagreements.He promised to help me, but later he wen t back on his promise.India has done away with the caste system.The situation is looking up day by day.

ACTIVITY-60Ans.Came out withLooking forward toCame in forRun out of Get onPut up withCatch up with

ACTIVITY-61 Ans. Where have you been ?(Sentence)Like a diamond in the sky (phrase)And jill came tumbling after (clause)All the king’s horses(phrase)

A nice fairy story (phrase)A stich in time (phrase)Pussy in the well (phrase)

To fetch a pail of water (phrase)Humpty dumpty sat on a wall.(sentences)Who pulled her out ?(sentence)Under the quee’s chair(phrase)Up the hill (phrase)Jack fell down (sentence)The clock struck one (sentence)After sealing the latter(phrase)

ACTIVITY-62Ans.I can’t express how sorry I am. Jack fell down and he broke his crown.All depends on how the work is done.It is feared that he will not help us.It is clear that he is honest.I asked the boy how old he was.The point is that he was absolutely honest.When his father will return is uncertain. His great fear is that he may not succeed.Humpty dumpty sat on a wall.A proverb is one man’s wit.There is may a slip before the cup is taken to the lip.All that glitters is not gold.He told me that he was ready.What he says may be true. He waved his hand. 

ACTIVITY-63.Ans.It is not clear  who has done it. (Complement to the adjective “clear”)That he is honest is known to all.(Subject to the verb ‘is’)“I am glad to hear it”, Mrs. Bethy said.(Subject to the very ‘said’)You know how hard she works, (Object to the very ‘know’)The film depends on how it ends. (Object to the preposition ‘on’)My decision is that he must help you. (Complement to the verb ‘is’)What is in our fate can’t be avoided. (Subject to the verbs ‘can’t be avoided)Shanti did not know that her uncle had come. (Object to the verbs ‘did not know’)Can you tell me “ who wrote the Ramayan”? (Object to the verbs ‘ can say’)No one can say how the war will come to an end. (Object to the verbs ‘ can say’)Mr. Gupta promised that he would put some flowers on her brother’s gave. (Object to the verb ‘promised’)The matter is that they have cheated us. (Complement to the verb ‘is’)

ACTIVITY-64Ans.Can you tell me who will take our science class ?His looks prove that he is disappointed.We all thought that we would win the match. His plan is that he will succeed.That the earth moves round the sun is known to all.He admitted that he had stolen my mobile.He wanted to know if I would come with him.I have no objection to what you do. Copernicus proved that the earth moves round the sun.The rumour that Rahul Gandhi will get married is true. 

ACTIVITY-65Ans. The birds which live in the neighbourhood are chirping.I write with the pen which  my father bought for me. The sick whom Florence Nightinagle nursed were delighted. I like the man who/that has a smiling face. The thief who had robbed me escaped in the dark.The boy whose book I have borrowed is our monitor. The chair which/that he is sitting in has a cracked leg.

ACTIVITY-66Ans.A driver is a person who drives motors.An actor is a person who acts.A journalist is a person who writes for newspaper.A farmer is a person who works on a farm.A patient is a person who suffers from disease (s)A newspaper is a document in which there are different news. A conductor is a person who collects fares on buses. A teacher is a person who teaches.A plumber is a person who mends water pipes. A doctor is a person who treats patients.A hospital is a place where the patients are treated.A transitive verb is a verb which has object(s)

ACTIVITY-67Ans.“A”ALL, people, all’s well, He, He, It’s a long lane, It is an ill wind, There are no one, So deaf as those The family“B”That , Who, That, Who, Who, That , ThatThat, That. “C” Glitters. Live in glass housesEndsPays the piperLaughs lastHas no turning .Blows nobodyDon’t wantPrays together. “ D”Is not gold.Shouldn’t throw stonesWellCalls the tuneLaughs bestTo hearStays together. 

ACTIVITY-68Ans.D ND D NNDDN

ACTIVITY-69Ans.My father, who is working at Koraput, is a doctorMira’s grandmother , who is sick , is in hospital now.Eintstein, who discovered the theory of relativity , once failed in an examination.Engineer Choudhury , who got this bridge built , is on a visit to our village.Mother Teresa, who faithfully served the poor, is called a saint now.The chairman of the committee , who is impartial , solves all the problems cleverly.

ACTIVITY-70Ans.The house in which I lived as a child has been pulled down now.My grandmother , who was an extraordinary woman, lived to the age of one hundredStop him! He’s the man who stole my purse.They have invented a television set that is as small as a watch. There are many people whose lives have been spoilt by this factory.Is that the button that you pressed ?Could everybody whose answer sheets are with me raise their hands ?That scientist has invented a kind of ink that is visible in darkness

ACTIVITY-71Ans. A wind that is strong and hot-LooThe tool that we write with –PenA thing that is hung at the post for game-NetA tool that is used for currying under ground water-pipeThe tool is fitted in vehicles to make it run-EngineThe place where birds lie-Nest.

ACTIVITY-72Ans.We reached home when it began to rain.Ramesh ran so fast that nobody could catch up with him.You wouldn’t succeed if you did not work hard.The sum is not as difficult as I had expected.The thief behaved as if he were inncent.You should rest because you are tired.My friends will come even if I don’t invite them. He speaks better than he writes. The thief hid the jewellery where there were no people.The man is absolutely honest even though he is poor.

ACTIVITY-73Ans. In the way they should go-adverb clause of manner.As the dog returns to his vomit-adverb clause of manner.Where there is no vision-adverb clause of condition not ‘place’As the would do unto you-adverb clause of manner.As the weather became better-adverb clause of reason.Although he went to the market-adverb clause of contrast or concession. Whether you join the picnic or not-adverb clause of contrast or concession.Even though he is very simple –adverb clause of concession Provided you are in need –adverb clause of condition So that it remains fresh –adverb clause of purpose. 

ACTIVITY-74Ans. Adverb Clause of conditionsIf you pour oil on water(,)IF you heat iron.If the sun sets,If it rains today,If you read the lessonIf we start now,If I had wings.If I knew her address.If you had not reminded me,If you had studied more sincerely. Main ClauseIt floatsIt expandsIt becomes darkI shall not go outYou can understandWe can reach there in timeI would fly in the skyI would take you to her placeI could not have arrived there on time.You would have got a first class.

ACTIVITY-75Ans.If you meet him, you will know about him.Had I the wings of a dove, I would fly.If India had won this match, it would have played semifinal.If you are not watching TV, do your homework.If you had driven more carefully, you wouldn’t have faced the accident. If Mahatma Gandhi were alive today, he would make India developed. If you boil water up to 100 degree celcious, steam comes out.If my friend comes in time, I shall go with him.If I were you, I would teach him a lesson.If Germany had won the world war-II, it would have become the superpower. 

ACTIVITY-76Ans. Compound(D)Complex(X)Compound(D)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)

Complex(X)Compound(D)Simple(S)Complex(X)(If you do not waste, you won’t want)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)Complex(X)Compound(D)

ACTIVITY-77Ans.Because the sun is shining (adverb clause of reason) (because-subordinator)While the sun shines. (adverb clause of time) while –subordinator)Who has blue eyes(relative clause)What you told me.(Noun clause ) (subject to the verb) (what-subordinator)What I asked for. (Noun clause object to the verb) (What subordinator)If you don’t waste(adverb clause of condition)That he cheated in the examination.(Noun clause) (complement to the object’true’)That he has been disturbed. (noun clause (complement to the adjective “sorry”)As I was leaving the house. (Adverb clause of time) (as-subordinator)Than I had hoped.(adverb clause of degree or comparison) (than-subordinator)In case it rains (adverb clause of purpose) (in case-subordinator)What the teacher had said.(Noun clause-object to the preposition ‘of’)

ACTIVITY-78Ans.Complex: If you will call on (see) me tomorrow, I will give you the money then.Compound : Call on me tomorrow and I will give you the money.Complex : I can’t go because/as/since I have no ticket.Compound : I have no ticket, so I can’t go.Complex: As the days are unlucky , we must not give up hope.Compound : The days are unlucky yet we must not give up hope. Complex : Since the day was very cold, I had to take a woolen sweater.Compound : I had to taken a woden sweater for the day was very cold.Complex: I had to go to see the dentist as/because I broke a tooth.Compound: I broke a tooth, so/therefore I had to go to the dentist.Or, I had go to the dentist for I broke a tooth. 

ACTIVITY-79Ans. If they have eggs. (adverb clause condition) (modifies the verb ‘get’) (because) they have eggs) (adverb clause of reason)

ACTIVITY-80Ans. Adverb clause of mannerAdverb clause of resultAdverb clause of cause or reasonAdverb clause of conditionAdverb clause of contrast/concession Adverb clause of contrastAdverb clause of comparison Adverb clause of placeAdverb clause of timeAdverb clause of purpose.

ACTIVITY-81Ans.AAPAPA

ACITITY-82Ans.A car will be bought next year if the savings increase.Thousands of people were killed in the earthquake in Japan last year.What can not be cured must be endured He should be punished for telling a lie.English is spoken all over the world.The road was being repaired when I saw it last year. The accident might be caused due to the carelessness of the driver.People are being denied justice these days. His grandfather is said to have been landlord.I like to be left alone.

ACTIVITY-83Ans.Buxibazar, Cuttack Date-2nd January ,2013 Rakesh  I understand that, the annual day function of your school is going to be held on your school premises this evening , I was told that the Governor of our state has been invited to inaugurate the function and to give away the prizes to the winners. I know that you secured the first position in your class in the last annual examination and also came first in the debate and essay competitions which was held at your school. You would certainly by awarded some prizes and medals for your merit and proficiency. I would have been very glad to see you receive the prizes from the Governor if I had been invited to the function and had been present there at such happy moments. However , enjoy yourself and stay happy at the function More when we meet. Lots. Of love and good wishes. Father.  

ACTIVITY-84Ans.Fifty houses in the Khandagiri Slum area in Bhubaneswar were burnt to ashes last Sunday. The children and six women were burnt alive. All the belongings of the people were completely destroyed in the fire. About two hundred people were rendered homeless and eighty people were hospitalized for treatment of their injury caused in the fire. How the houses first caught fire is still shrouded in mystery. Government’s assistance for rehabilition of these affected people is badly needed at this hour. 

ACTIVITY-85Ans. He was sacked. He was asked to leave It was closed down.He was punished.He was drowned.It was turned down. They were kept waiting. 

ACTIVITY-86 Ans. The Odia Bhagabat was written by Jagannath Das.The prize was won by my friend Mohan.A chair has been broken.The essay can not be written in a week’s time.Delicious cakes are made during the Raja Festival every year. Our earth was created long ago.My birthday will be celebrated this year.

ACTIVITY-87Ans. Originally , this novel was written in Hindi, but it was translated into Odia in 1990.Cheese is made from Milk.An accident occurred here this afternoon. Somebody called an ambulance , but as nobody was injured the ambulance was not required.The office is in a mess . The telephone is never answered , no proper records are kept and no work is done. A tree is lying across the road. It has been blown down in the storm.The letter was posted a week ago and it reached me yesterday.The child playing on the road was run over by a truck.

ACTIVITY-88ANS.How tea is made, using tea-bags:One tea-bag is used for making each cup of tea.The required number of tea-bags is placed in the kettle.Boiling water is added as per the requirement.The water is stirred , but it should be made sure that the tea bags do not open.The tea is allowed to stand for five minutes.The tea is poured into cups.Sugar and milk is added to taste.

ACTIVITY-89Ans.The wolf asked the lamb why he made the water dirty. The lamb respectfully (for sir) replied how could he make the water dirty when it was flowing down from him(wolf) to him. The wolf told the lamb that then he must have spoiled at the previous year. The lamb replied that he was only three months old. At this the wolf asserted I (told confidently) that his father (lamb’s father) must have spoiled the water the previous year. He(wolf) would therefore kill him (the lamb).

ACTIVITY-90Now put their comments in reported speech.Ans.The Samaj reported that the show was brilliant.The reporters from the Sambad said that it made him jump up in delight. The Dharitri reported that they could not have a better show.The Dinalipi told the readers they would love it.The Prajatantra urged the readers not to miss it.The Matrubhasa commented that his (magician’s) performance was outstanding. 

ACTIVITY-91Ans.I told mother that he (Makhan) would like to got to a good college, but his parents could not afford to pay the fees.(To mother) Makhan told me that he was living with a friend and working part time.(To mother) Makhan told me that he (Makhan) was enjoying his work.

ACTIVITY-92Ans.Rakhal said that he would never forget his childhood days.The children said that they play football everyday.(habitual action)The man said that the house was on fire.She says that she does not like sweets.(Reporting verb’says’ in simple present tense)The guide said that Puri is famous for the temple of Lord Jagannath.(General truth)The teacher said that the earth moves round the sun.(general truth)Father said that spring comes after winter.(General fact)He has said that his son is going to hospital for treatment.

ACTIVITY-93Ans.Rabi told me that he knew where I was born.Father said that morning is at six today.(no change since father speaks in the morning)She said that she would help me in the hour of my need.Or, she assured to help me in the hour of my need.He said that he had collected these pebbles at the seashore.I told him that he had not kept fit the previous year.The teacher advised me to work hard for my examination.The doctor forbade me to smoke.Sushil said that they celebrate their republic day on 26th January every year. He said that he was playing the violin every morning the previous year.He said these (not ’those’) are his toys.

ACTIVITY-94Ans. Mahesh Asked meWhat the name of my sister’s husband was.What he was doing.Where he was posted at present.If he had ever been abroad How long he had stayed there.If he had ever gone to Australia.What salary he got If  his salary would increase the following year.

ACTIVITY-95Why this day is observed in the whole of india.What difference he marked between the education imparted then and the education imparted (given) at his time.What his impression (idea) on the teachers working at present and those working at his time was.If he thought that the system of education had improved a lot. If the students had not become more knowledgeable than before.If their conduct had changed for the better.If they would grow into good citizens of their country.What message he did have for the students of the country. 

ACTIVITY-96He advised me to consult a doctor immediately.He asked me to hurry up or I would miss the train.He advised me not to get addicted to tea. He said that my mouth smells foul . so he asked me not to open it. The captain applauded saying that they had scored tow goals.The general admired me and told that I had done wonders.The teacher told Nirmal that he was a very lazy boy.My friend exclaimed in joy that it was nice of me to have come.The travelers bade his friends goodbye.The beggar wished for a morsel of food.He wished that if only he had the wings of a dove.


No comments:

Post a Comment