Monday, 17 August 2026

KEY TO PASSAGE-BASED EXERCISES [Set 2] TO STRENGTHEN STUDENTS’ UNDERSTANDING OF TENSE

 


[
Set 2] Passage 1 – Present → Past

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense. Make all necessary changes in the verbs, auxiliary verbs, time expressions, and other grammatical structures.

Every morning, Dr. Sen examines the patients who are waiting outside his clinic. He listens carefully to their complaints and checks their medical records before he prescribes any treatment. If a patient has been suffering from a serious illness, he refers the person to a specialist. Although he has a busy schedule, he never refuses to see an emergency case. He believes that a doctor must remain patient and attentive because a small mistake can sometimes have serious consequences. After he finishes his work, he usually reviews the cases he has dealt with during the day.

Answers Every morning, Dr. Sen examined the patients who were waiting outside his clinic. He listened carefully to their complaints and checked their medical records before he prescribed any treatment. If a patient had been suffering from a serious illness, he referred the person to a specialist. Although he had a busy schedule, he never refused to see an emergency case. He believed that a doctor had to remain patient and attentive because a small mistake could sometimes have serious consequences. After he finished his work, he usually reviewed the cases he had dealt with during the day.

Passage 2 – Present → Past + 3rd Person → 1st Person

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense and change Arjun/he/his/him into I/my/me. Make all necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.

Arjun says that he is preparing for an important examination and that he has been following a strict study schedule for several weeks. He gets up before sunrise, revises the lessons he has studied the previous day, and then attends his classes. Whenever he finds a difficult topic, he discusses it with his teacher instead of ignoring it. He knows that he will not perform well if he does not manage his time properly. Although he sometimes feels exhausted, he continues working because he has promised himself that he will complete the entire syllabus before the examination begins.

Answers I said that I was preparing for an important examination and that I had been following a strict study schedule for several weeks. I got up before sunrise, revised the lessons I had studied the previous day, and then attended my classes. Whenever I found a difficult topic, I discussed it with my teacher instead of ignoring it. I knew that I would not perform well if I did not manage my time properly. Although I sometimes felt exhausted, I continued working because I had promised myself that I would complete the entire syllabus before the examination began.

Passage 3 – Past → Present + 1st Person → 3rd Person

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Present Tense and change I/my/me into Maya/she/her. Make all necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.

I had planned to visit the old library last Saturday because I wanted to find some books that I had been searching for. When I reached the library, I discovered that the librarian had already arranged the books according to their subjects. I looked through several shelves before I found the section I needed. While I was examining an old history book, I noticed that someone had written several useful notes in the margin. I copied the important references into my notebook and decided that I would return the following week to study the book more carefully.

Answers Maya plans to visit the old library because she wants to find some books that she has been searching for. When she reaches the library, she discovers that the librarian has already arranged the books according to their subjects. She looks through several shelves before she finds the section she needs. While she is examining an old history book, she notices that someone has written several useful notes in the margin. She copies the important references into her notebook and decides that she will return the following week to study the book more carefully.

Passage 4 – Present → Past + 3rd Person → 2nd Person

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense and address Riya directly, changing Riya/she/her into you/your. Make all necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.

Riya usually begins her day by reviewing the tasks she has planned for herself. She knows that she cannot accomplish everything at once, so she gives priority to the most important tasks. If she has been working continuously for several hours, she takes a short break before she resumes her work. She does not allow temporary difficulties to discourage her because she believes that persistence is more important than immediate success. By the end of the day, she checks whether she has completed everything she had planned and makes a note of anything that needs to be done the next morning.

Answers You usually began your day by reviewing the tasks you had planned for yourself. You knew that you could not accomplish everything at once, so you gave priority to the most important tasks. If you had been working continuously for several hours, you took a short break before you resumed your work. You did not allow temporary difficulties to discourage you because you believed that persistence was more important than immediate success. By the end of the day, you checked whether you had completed everything you had planned and made a note of anything that needed to be done the next morning.

Passage 5 – Past → Present + 3rd Person → 1st Person

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Present Tense and change Rahul/he/his/him into I/my/me. Make all necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.

Rahul had been working on a science project for nearly a month when he finally discovered the reason why his experiment was not producing the expected result. He had already changed several parts of the procedure, but none of them had worked. After he consulted his teacher, he realised that he had been using the wrong measurement from the beginning. He corrected the mistake and repeated the experiment. Although he had wasted several days, he did not feel disappointed because he had learned something valuable from the failure. He decided that he would record every stage of his future experiments more carefully.

Answers I have been working on a science project for nearly a month when I finally discover the reason why my experiment is not producing the expected result. I have already changed several parts of the procedure, but none of them has worked. After I consult my teacher, I realise that I have been using the wrong measurement from the beginning. I correct the mistake and repeat the experiment. Although I have wasted several days, I do not feel disappointed because I have learned something valuable from the failure. I decide that I will record every stage of my future experiments more carefully.

Passage 6 – Present → Past + Complex Time Relationships

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense. Pay particular attention to the use of the Past Perfect, Past Continuous, and Past Perfect Continuous where necessary.

When the rescue team reaches the village, several families are waiting near the temporary shelter. The villagers have been staying there since the river overflowed its banks two days earlier. While the volunteers are distributing food and blankets, the medical team examines those who need immediate attention. The officer in charge informs the villagers that the authorities have already arranged transport for people whose houses have been damaged. By evening, the water level begins to fall, and the villagers become hopeful that they will be able to return home soon.

Answers When the rescue team reached the village, several families were waiting near the temporary shelter. The villagers had been staying there since the river had overflowed its banks two days earlier. While the volunteers were distributing food and blankets, the medical team examined those who needed immediate attention. The officer in charge informed the villagers that the authorities had already arranged transport for people whose houses had been damaged. By evening, the water level began to fall, and the villagers became hopeful that they would be able to return home soon.

Passage 7 – 1st Person → 3rd Person + Present → Past

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense and change I/my/me into Neha/she/her. Make all necessary changes in pronouns, possessive words, verbs, and other grammatical structures.

I know that I have not always made the right decisions, but I try to learn from my mistakes. Whenever I realise that I have behaved unfairly towards someone, I apologise without making excuses. I believe that people become stronger when they accept responsibility for their actions. Last year, I was facing a difficult situation at college, and I was unsure about what I should do. Instead of making a quick decision, I spoke to my teachers and considered the consequences carefully. Their advice helped me understand what I had been overlooking, and I eventually made a decision that I have never regretted.

Answers Neha knew that she had not always made the right decisions, but she tried to learn from her mistakes. Whenever she realised that she had behaved unfairly towards someone, she apologised without making excuses. She believed that people became stronger when they accepted responsibility for their actions. The previous year, she was facing a difficult situation at college, and she was unsure about what she should do. Instead of making a quick decision, she spoke to her teachers and considered the consequences carefully. Their advice helped her understand what she had been overlooking, and she eventually made a decision that she never regretted.

Passage 8 – Mixed Tenses → Past

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense. Preserve the meaning and make all necessary changes in the sequence of tenses.

Anita is writing an article about a village that has changed considerably over the last decade. She has interviewed several elderly residents who remember how the village looked when they were young. One of them tells her that the road used to become almost impossible to cross during the rainy season. Another resident explains that the villagers have recently built a small bridge across the stream. Anita is surprised to learn that the villagers themselves have collected most of the money required for the project. She believes that their efforts show how a community can solve its problems when people work together.

Answers Anita was writing an article about a village that had changed considerably over the previous decade. She had interviewed several elderly residents who remembered how the village had looked when they were young. One of them told her that the road used to become almost impossible to cross during the rainy season. Another resident explained that the villagers had recently built a small bridge across the stream. Anita was surprised to learn that the villagers themselves had collected most of the money required for the project. She believed that their efforts showed how a community could solve its problems when people worked together.

Passage 9 – 3rd Person → 1st Person + Past → Present

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Present Tense and change Vikram/he/his/him into I/my/me. Make all necessary changes in pronouns, possessive words, verbs, and time expressions.

Vikram had never imagined that he would one day become interested in astronomy. When he was at school, he rarely paid attention to lessons about space because he thought they were too difficult. His attitude changed after he watched a documentary about the possibility of life on other planets. Since then, he has been reading books and articles about astronomy whenever he has free time. He has also joined an online group where people discuss recent discoveries in space science. Although he still has much to learn, he feels that his understanding of the universe has gradually improved.

Answers I have never imagined that I would one day become interested in astronomy. When I am at school, I rarely pay attention to lessons about space because I think they are too difficult. My attitude changes after I watch a documentary about the possibility of life on other planets. Since then, I have been reading books and articles about astronomy whenever I have free time. I have also joined an online group where people discuss recent discoveries in space science. Although I still have much to learn, I feel that my understanding of the universe has gradually improved.

Passage 10 – Advanced Mixed Transformation

Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past Tense and change Sanjay/he/his/him into I/my/me. Make all necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, reported speech, conditionals, and time expressions.

Sanjay believes that he has finally understood why his first attempt at starting a small business failed. He admits that he had not studied the market carefully enough and that he had assumed that customers would automatically prefer his product. When he begins his second venture, he plans to conduct proper research before investing his savings. He also says that if he encounters a difficulty, he will seek advice instead of trying to solve everything on his own. His experience has taught him that success does not depend only on having a good idea; it also requires patience, careful planning, and the willingness to learn from mistakes. He hopes that if he applies what he has learned, he will be able to build a more successful business in the future.

Answers I believed that I had finally understood why my first attempt at starting a small business had failed. I admitted that I had not studied the market carefully enough and that I had assumed that customers would automatically prefer my product. When I began my second venture, I planned to conduct proper research before investing my savings. I also said that if I encountered a difficulty, I would seek advice instead of trying to solve everything on my own. My experience had taught me that success did not depend only on having a good idea; it also required patience, careful planning, and the willingness to learn from mistakes. I hoped that if I applied what I had learned, I would be able to build a more successful business in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment