Here are 10 passage-based exercises designed to strengthen students’ understanding of tense changes, person changes (3rd → 1st/2nd person), pronoun changes, and related grammatical adjustments.
Passage 1 – Change Present into Past
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past
Tense. Make all necessary changes in the verbs and other words.
Ravi gets up early every morning. He brushes his teeth and takes a bath. Then
he has his breakfast and goes to school. He meets his friends there and attends
his classes attentively. After school, he returns home and completes his
homework. In the evening, he plays cricket with his friends.
Passage 2 – Change 3rd Person into 1st Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage by changing
the 3rd person (he) into the 1st person (I). Make all necessary changes in
pronouns, possessive words and verbs.
Arun says that he is very happy because he has completed his project. He tells
his teacher that he has worked hard on it. His teacher praises him and says
that he has done an excellent job. Arun thanks her and promises that he will
work even harder in the future.
Passage 3 – Change 3rd Person into 2nd Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage by changing
the 3rd person (she) into the 2nd person (you). Make all necessary changes in
pronouns, possessive words and verbs.
Meena says that she studies regularly and completes her homework on time. She
tells her mother that she always follows her advice. Her mother is pleased with
her and tells her that she is a sincere student. Meena promises that she will
continue to work hard.
Passage 4 – Change Present into Past and 3rd
Person into 1st Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past
Tense and change the 3rd person (he) into the 1st person (I). Make all
necessary changes.
Sohan says that he is going to the market because he needs some vegetables. He
takes a bag with him and walks to the market. He meets his neighbour there, who
asks him where he is going. Sohan tells him that he wants to buy some fresh
vegetables for his family. He returns home after he buys everything he needs.
Passage 5 – Change Past into Present and 1st
Person into 3rd Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Present Tense and
change the 1st person (I) into the 3rd person (Rina/she). Make all necessary
changes.
I went to the library yesterday because I wanted to borrow a book. I met my
friend there and we discussed our studies. I searched the shelves and found an
interesting book on history. I borrowed it and promised myself that I would
read it carefully. When I returned home, I showed the book to my brother.
now more 5 with increased length
Passage 6 – Change Present into Past
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past
Tense. Make all necessary changes in the verbs, pronouns, and time expressions.
Every morning, Rohan wakes up before sunrise and goes for a walk in the park
near his house. He enjoys watching the birds and listening to their songs.
After his walk, he returns home, takes a bath, and has his breakfast. His
mother prepares a healthy meal for him and reminds him to carry his lunch to
school. Rohan leaves home at eight o’clock and reaches school before the bell
rings. He attends all his classes carefully and takes notes whenever his
teachers explain something important. During the lunch break, he sits with his
friends and discusses the lessons they have studied. After school, he comes
home, rests for a while, and completes his homework. In the evening, he plays
football with his friends before returning home for dinner.
Passage 7 – Change 3rd Person into 1st Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage by changing
the 3rd person (Anita/she) into the 1st person (I). Make all necessary changes
in pronouns, possessive words, and verbs.
Anita says that she loves reading books because they give her new ideas and
help her understand the world better. She usually spends an hour in the library
after her classes. She chooses books carefully and often borrows stories
written by famous authors. Her English teacher encourages her to read different
kinds of books and tells her that regular reading improves her vocabulary.
Anita follows her teacher’s advice and keeps a small notebook in which she
writes down new words. She also tries to use these words while speaking and
writing. Whenever she finds a difficult word, she looks for its meaning and
writes an example sentence. She believes that this habit makes her more
confident in English. She hopes that she will be able to read longer and more
difficult books in the future.
Passage 8 – Change 3rd Person into 2nd Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage by changing
the 3rd person (Rahul/he) into the 2nd person (you). Make all necessary changes
in pronouns, possessive words, and verbs.
Rahul tells his younger brother that he should develop good habits if he wants
to become successful. He advises him to get up early, keep his room clean, and
complete his work on time. He also tells him that he should listen carefully to
his teachers and respect his parents. Rahul reminds him that success does not
come in a single day and that he must work patiently towards his goals. He says
that when a person makes a mistake, he should learn from it instead of losing
hope. Rahul further advises his brother to spend less time on unnecessary
activities and more time on useful things such as reading, exercising, and
learning new skills. He assures him that if he follows these suggestions
sincerely, he will gradually become more disciplined and confident.
Passage 9 – Change Present into Past and 3rd
Person into 1st Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Past
Tense and change the 3rd person (Suman/she) into the 1st person (I). Make all
necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.
Suman gets up early because she has an important examination at school. She
knows that she has to revise several chapters before leaving home. She sits at
her study table and goes through her notes carefully. Her mother brings her a
glass of milk and tells her not to worry. Suman thanks her mother and continues
studying. After she revises all the important topics, she packs her books and
leaves for school. On the way, she meets two of her classmates, who ask her
whether she is prepared for the examination. She tells them that she has
revised everything but is still a little nervous. When they reach the school,
the examination hall is already open. Suman takes her seat, reads the
instructions carefully, and begins writing her answers when the teacher tells the
students to start. She feels more confident as she remembers what she has
studied.
Passage 10 – Change Past into Present and 1st
Person into 3rd Person
Instruction: Rewrite the following passage in the Present
Tense and change the 1st person (I) into the 3rd person (Amit/he). Make all
necessary changes in verbs, pronouns, possessive words, and time expressions.
I visited my grandfather last Sunday because I wanted to spend some time with
him. I reached his village in the morning and found him sitting in the garden.
He welcomed me warmly and asked me about my studies. I told him that I was
preparing for my final examination and that I had been studying regularly. He
advised me to remain calm and make a proper timetable. After lunch, I
accompanied him to the fields and watched the farmers working there. He
explained to me how the crops were grown and why the farmers had to depend on
the weather. In the afternoon, I helped him arrange some books in his study.
Before I left, he gave me an old book and told me that it would teach me many
valuable lessons. I thanked him and promised that I would visit him again soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment