Friday 8 December 2017

TO MY FATHER ON HIS 43rd DEATH ANNIVERSARY




TO MY FATHER ON HIS 43rd DEATH ANNIVERSARY

Nana, had you been all along with me,
In the turbulent Sea of life, forlornly, I would not have to swim,
I would not have to walk in the alleys narrow, gloomy and grim,
Really, So sad and sorrowful would not have been my life’s Film!

Nana, had you not left me before I was barely two years,
I would not have to pass alone through so much deafening chaos,
I would not have been snowed under so much bitter adversity,
I would not have to exist like a negligible and pitiful  “Anonymity”!

Nana, had you not been neglectful of your health,
I would not have to miss in you the invaluable wealth,
I would not have to be a hapless, pitiable and playable “Puppet”,
I would not have to be blown helter skelter like a dry leaf’s “Fate”!

Nana, May I always be a good Man with your heavenly Blessings’ Rays!
Nana, My own sourest experiences teach me to humbly and earnestly pray:
“May no child in the world ever fall to Father bereavement’s painful Prey,
May all Fathers under the Sun keep making their dearest children’s days!”

N.B: The poet's father was a Postman, who breathed his last due to his neglectful attitude towards his health. He did not go for treatment after an iron nail got pinched into his feet, which got contaminated coming in contact with cow dung due to walking bare foot and working in the field, leading to his tragic end. He left behind him the poet's widowed mother, two elder brothers and an elder sister. The poet was youngest son. At that time he was about one and half years. Then started a traumatic and pathetic period for his family. The poet struggled almost 40 years to settled for which he remains indebted to God as well as his family members.

Glossary:
Nana – father in Odia, poet's mother tongue
Turbulent – tumultuous/ unstable
Forlornly – desolately/ desperately
Anonymity – obscurity
Helter skelter – confused/ haphazard
Making children’s days – making children happy

©Dr. Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India 
WhatsApp no. +918270604524
N. B. This poem was composed in 2018
https://sdmenglishtuitions.com

12 comments:

  1. Such an emotional composition Sir.
    I do lack my father also and so could derive your feelings in my heart while going through your lines.
    Jai Shree Radha Madhaba

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a touching pen, splendid tribute

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to know your shortnotes on your childhood and about 'father-bereavement'. I never thought of this we brothers and sisters had our parents with us so long and we enjoyed theirlovely presence in our life. For that reason, your elaborated poem let me know about your olden days without your father with you and your sufferings knowing about his careless health consciousness.
    But he has taught you a good lesson that you all have to and after listening to your story, we too have to take care of our health first to give supoet for our beloved family. That history should not repeat in our life too.
    On your father's, 43rd death anniversary, we too join in your prayers for him. May God bless his soul wherever it may be.....now. We pray for you and your family also to have His and HIS blessings in your life always.
    I appreciate you to find some strong will and energy to pen a beautiful poem with full of lovely emotions in his remembrance. Thank you for letting us also know this and making a part of yours in the family. God bless you! 😍🙌😌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq so much dear Sir for yr avid interest in my poems, and enjoying my poems. My humble gratitude.

      Delete
  5. Very touching...my eyes were tearful as I remembered my father reading this heartfelt poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq so much dear Mam for reading this poem. Sad to know about yr father.

      Delete
    2. This is the most poignant story. I have known this. Yet reading it again I can feel a child's agony and anguish suffered at the hands of destiny. You have just put your heart out here.

      Delete
  6. My family join in your prayers on your beloved Nana's death anniversary. We cannot forget our most beloved parent's
    Unconditional Love & Support with sincere toil in their life only for their children , sacrificing a major part of their enjoyment, even when they are not sure about the children's support in their later stage. Thank you, Shankar ji for this poem which is filled with wonderful- very much emotional words that made it really invaluable! Happy Father's Day!😍💐👏👏🙏

    ReplyDelete