Monday 13 December 2021

THE WAILING OF ROAM, AN ABANDONED, ILLEGITIMATE CHILD

 



THE WAILING OF ROAM, AN ABANDONED, ILLEGITIMATE CHILD 

"Roam here Roam, and to your heart's content, lick this sweet stick of lollypop,

Until, with some toys for you to play and romp, we return from the nearest toy shop."

In an instant uttered two soft, pampering and enchanting tongues in unison,

Thus, the credulous and confident Roam did roam and relish at a busy railway station,

As long as the taste of the lollypop lasted, and he was in a realm of blissful oblivion!


But, while jumping with joys dreaming of the toys dashed Roam against a couple,

Who with dams of compassion and springs of sympathy lifted the baby cute and supple!

Then only did Roam rumble with an outcry of scare to look for his Mom and Dad,

Alas! Roam's anxiety, like a tidal sea, swelled every passing instant, and he was sad,

Past the powers of pens to pen, above width of the Sky, and beyond the length of the land!


Then, Roam's heart wailed, "Why did you carry me into the light of the world?

Both of you do tell, "Whom shall I call now my  Mom, and whom shall I address Dad?

Whose bosoms will be my softest and safest pillows to slumber at night with comforts?

Whose loving hands will feed me dottingly when I am, with hunger impatient and mad?

Whose healing words of balm, warmest hugs of cares and concerns will cure my hurts?


But, neither Roam's unmarried Mom nor his bachelor Dad did ever return,

Thus, Roam sobbed and slept on a concrete chair of the platform with a 'Heart Broken';

As if to ask God, "What is my sin to be abandoned daily like garbage after I'm born?

What is the permanent remedy for this unbearable Malady of my Tribes fateless?

And, how long will we be thrown like stinking dung by our biological parents shameless?

1st Roam : move about

2nd Roam: the name of a boy who is born of an unmarried couple

Copyright ©️ Dr Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India 13.12.2021

Image Courtesy: Google

My dear, revered friends, please search on Google "Poetry of Dr. Shankar D Mishra"/ sdmpoetry.blogspot.com to enjoy many more new poems of different tastes. To receive my poems, you can save my Whatsapp number 08270604524. Thank you. 

2 comments: