Tuesday, 28 July 2026

TENSES REVISITED, CHAPTER 1, (PRESENT TENSE) BSE, ODISHA

1. WAYS OF EXPRESSING THE PRESENT TIME

Activity – 1

Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets. [You can use she or her, if required.]
He (get) up early every day. He (brush) his teeth and (have) his bath. He (take) a quick breakfast. He (not want) to be punished at school. So, he (set out) early to reach school in time. He (sit) on the same bench in my classroom. He (have) straight hair and a sharp nose. What is his name?

Answer: gets, brushes, has, takes, does not want, sets out, sits, has
10 Additional Questions
(a) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets. [You can use he or him, if required.]
Rohan (wake) up at six every morning. He (wash) his face and (drink) a glass of milk. He (leave) home at seven and (walk) to school. He (reach) school before the bell (ring). He (attend) all his classes regularly. He (not like) to be late. He (sit) in the front row and (listen) carefully to his teachers.
“What kind of student is he?”

(a) Answers: wakes, washes, drinks, leaves, walks, reaches, rings, attends, does not like, sits, listens.
(b) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
My sister (get) up early every morning. She (make) her bed and (open) the windows. She (water) the plants and (help) my mother in the kitchen. She (have) breakfast at eight and (leave) for school at half past eight. She (not miss) the school bus. She (carry) a small lunch box and (return) home in the afternoon.

(b) Answers: gets, makes, opens, waters, helps, has, leaves, does not miss, carries, returns.
(c) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
Arun (live) in a small village. He (go) to school by bicycle. He (study) hard and (complete) his homework every evening. He (play) cricket with his friends after school. He (not waste) his time. He (enjoy) reading storybooks and (visit) the library every Saturday.

(c) Answers: lives, goes, studies, completes, plays, does not waste, enjoys, visits
(d) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
My father (wake) up early. He (read) the newspaper and (have) tea. He (leave) for work at nine o'clock. He (work) in an office and (return) home in the evening. He (not watch) television for long. He (spend) some time with the family before he (go) to bed.

(d) Answers: wakes, reads, has, leaves, works, returns, does not watch, spends, goes
(e) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
A farmer (get) up before sunrise. He (feed) his animals and (go) to the fields. He (work) there for several hours. He (grow) vegetables and (look) after his crops carefully. He (not leave) the field until his work is finished. He (return) home before sunset.

(e) Answers: gets, feeds, goes, works, grows, looks, does not leave, returns
(f) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
Neha (love) music. She (listen) to songs in her free time and (practise) singing every day. She (take) music lessons twice a week. She (not miss) her classes and (work) hard to improve her voice. She (hope) to become a good singer.

(f) Answers: loves, listens, practises, takes, does not miss, works, hopes
(g) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
The school bus (arrive) at seven every morning. The students (get) on the bus and (take) their seats. The driver (check) the doors and (start) the bus. He (drive) carefully and (reach) the school on time. The bus (not stop) for long at any place.

(g) Answers: arrives, get, take, checks, starts, drives, reaches, does not stop
(h) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
A shopkeeper (open) his shop early in the morning. He (clean) the counter and (arrange) the goods. Customers (come) throughout the day. He (serve) them politely and (keep) a record of every sale. He (close) the shop at night.

(h) Answers: opens, cleans, arranges, come, serves, keeps, closes
(i) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
Rahul (enjoy) playing football. He (practise) every evening and (play) matches on Sundays. He (follow) his coach's instructions and (try) to improve his skills. He (not miss) practice unless he is ill. He (dream) of becoming a professional player.

(i) Answers: enjoys, practises, plays, follows, tries, does not miss, dreams
(j) Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs given in brackets.
Our teacher (enter) the classroom at nine every morning. She (greet) the students and (take) attendance. She (explain) the lessons clearly and (answer) our questions. She (give) us homework regularly and (check) our notebooks carefully.

(j) Answers: enters, greets, takes, explains, answers, gives, checks

Activity – 2

Write about the daily activities of an animal, for example, a cow, dog, cat, tiger, horse or any other animal or bird. Do not mention the name of the animal.
For example: “I am a domestic animal. I have four legs and a long tail, etc.” Let your friends guess which animal you have thought of.

Answer: I am a domestic animal. I wake up early in the morning. I eat grass and drink water. I spend most of the day grazing in the fields. I give milk, which people use every day. I have four legs, a long tail, and two horns. I return home in the evening and rest in the cowshed at night. Who am I?
10 Additional Questions
(a) Write about the daily activities of a domestic animal without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues using the present simple tense.

Answer: I am a domestic animal. I wake up early in the morning. I eat grass and drink water. I give milk to people. I have four legs, a long tail, and two horns. I live in a cowshed. Who am I?
(b) Write about the daily activities of a wild animal without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues using the present simple tense.

Answer: I am a wild animal. I live in the forest. I hunt other animals for food. I run very fast and roar loudly. I rest in the shade during the day. I have four strong legs and sharp teeth. Who am I?
(c) Write about the daily activities of a bird without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues using the present simple tense.

Answer: I am a bird. I wake up early in the morning. I build my nest in a tree. I fly high in the sky and sing sweetly. I eat grains, seeds, and insects. I return to my nest in the evening. Who am I?
(d) Write about the daily activities of an animal that lives on a farm without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I am a farm animal. I wake up early in the morning. I eat grass and hay. I help the farmer carry heavy loads and work in the fields. I drink plenty of water and rest in the stable at night. I have four strong legs and a long tail. Who am I?
(e) Write about the daily activities of an animal that lives in water without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I live in water. I swim all day with my fins and tail. I breathe through my gills. I eat small plants and tiny water animals. I hide among rocks and water plants when I feel unsafe. I lay eggs in water. Who am I?
(f) Write about the daily activities of an animal that can fly without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I can fly high in the sky. I build my nest in a tree. I collect twigs and leaves for my nest. I eat grains, seeds, and insects. I sing sweetly in the morning and return to my nest in the evening. Who am I?
(g) Write about the daily activities of an animal that is commonly kept as a pet without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I am a pet animal. I live in my master's house. I guard the house at night. I eat the food my master gives me. I bark at strangers and wag my tail when I see my family. I enjoy playing with children. Who am I?
(h) Write about the daily activities of an animal that eats grass without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I am a gentle animal. I eat grass and hay every day. I spend most of my time grazing in the fields. I drink plenty of water and rest under the shade of trees. I help people by giving milk. I have four legs and a long tail. Who am I?
(i) Write about the daily activities of an animal that hunts other animals without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I am a wild animal. I live in the forest. I hunt other animals for food. I run very fast and catch my prey with my sharp teeth and claws. I rest in the shade during the day and become active at night. I roar loudly. Who am I?
(j) Write about the daily activities of an animal that lives in a forest without mentioning its name. Give at least five clues.

Answer: I am a wild animal. I live in the forest. I spend my day looking for food and water. I walk long distances and rest under big trees. I protect myself from danger with my strong body. I sleep in the forest at night. Who am I?

Activity – 3

Work in pairs, A and B. Your partner will tell you some sentences that are wrong. Correct your partner. Then speak your sentences and let your partner correct you. In this way, complete all the sentences and, at the end, write down the corrected answers.
Example:
A: Mr Rao likes to eat fish.
B: No, he doesn't eat fish. He is a vegetarian.
Wrong sentences for A:
(a) Water freezes at 4°C.
(b) Cuttack is the capital of Odisha.
(c) The sun goes round the earth.
(d) Viswanathan Anand plays football.
(e) The Prime Minister of India lives in Mumbai.

Answers:
(a) Water freezes at 0°C.
(b) Bhubaneswar is the capital of Odisha.
(c) The earth goes round the sun.
(d) Viswanathan Anand plays chess.
(e) The Prime Minister of India lives in New Delhi.
Wrong sentences for B:
(a) Water floats on oil.
(b) A rose is a kind of fruit.
(c) Sachin Tendulkar plays hockey.
(d) Vande Mataram is our National Anthem.
(e) New York is the capital of the USA.

Answers:

(a) Oil floats on water.
(b) A rose is a kind of flower.
(c) Sachin Tendulkar plays cricket.
(d) Jana Gana Mana is our National Anthem.
(e) Washington, D.C. is the capital of the USA.
Additional Questions
(a) Wrong sentences for A:

1.    The Earth is the largest planet in the solar system.

2.    Birds have four legs.

3.    The moon produces its own light.

4.    A triangle has four sides.

5.    Plants need sunlight to make food.

Answer:

1.    Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system.

2.    Birds have two legs.

3.    The moon reflects the light of the sun.

4.    A triangle has three sides.

5.    Plants need sunlight to make food.

(b) Wrong sentences for B:

1.    The Pacific Ocean is the smallest ocean.

2.    A week has ten days.

3.    The human body has two hearts.

4.    The Sun rises in the west.

5.    Water boils at 50°C at normal atmospheric pressure.

Answer:

1.    The Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean.

2.    A week has seven days.

3.    The human body has one heart.

4.    The Sun rises in the east.

5.    Water boils at 100°C at normal atmospheric pressure.

6.    Activity – 4

Work in pairs. Match the following sentences (1–6) with the uses of the present simple and present progressive (a–f).

1.    I live in Sambalpur.

2.    She is staying with her aunt at the moment.

3.    Toffees are very sweet.

4.    His English is getting better all the time.

5.    I usually go to school on foot.

6.    Look! Two swans are carrying a tortoise.
Present Simple
(a) General or scientific truths
(b) Permanent state or permanent fact
(c) Habitual action
Present Progressive
(d) Something happening now
(e) Something happening over a period of time
(f) Temporary action

Answer:

1.    (b) Permanent state or permanent fact

2.    (f) Temporary action

3.    (a) General or scientific truths

4.    (e) Something happening over a period of time

5.    (c) Habitual action

6.    (d) Something happening now

Additional Question
Work in pairs. Match the following sentences (1–6) with the uses of the present simple and present progressive (a–f).

1.    My father works in a bank.

2.    The children are playing in the garden now.

3.    Water boils at 100°C.

4.    I am reading a very interesting novel these days.

5.    Riya often visits her grandmother on Sundays.

6.    We are living in a rented house until our new house is ready.

Present Simple
(a) General or scientific truths
(b) Permanent state or permanent fact
(c) Habitual action

Present Progressive
(d) Something happening now
(e) Something happening over a period of time
(f) Temporary action

Answer:

1.    (b) Permanent state or permanent fact

2.    (d) Something happening now

3.    (a) General or scientific truths

4.    (e) Something happening over a period of time

5.    (c) Habitual action

6.    (f) Temporary action

Activity – 5

Look out through the window. What do you see? Write three sentences about the things that you see. Read them aloud and see who else has written one exactly like yours. For today, you are special friends.

Answer:

1.    I see birds flying in the sky.

2.    I see people walking on the road.

3.    I see trees moving in the wind.

10 Additional Questions
(a) Look out through the window and write three sentences about what people are doing.

(a) Answer:

1.    Some people are walking on the road.

2.    A man is riding a bicycle.

3.    Children are playing outside.

(b) Look outside and write three sentences about vehicles that you can see.

(b) Answer:

1.    A bus is moving along the road.

2.    A car is passing by.

3.    Some motorcycles are waiting at the traffic signal.

(c) Write three sentences about the weather you can see from the window.

Answer:

1.    The sun is shining brightly.

2.    A cool breeze is blowing.

3.    White clouds are floating in the sky.

(d) Write three sentences about birds or animals that you can see.

Answer:

1.    Birds are flying in the sky.

2.    A dog is running on the road.

3.    A cow is grazing in the field.

(e) Write three sentences about trees or plants that you can see.

Answer:

1.    The trees are swaying in the wind.

2.    The flowers are blooming in the garden.

3.    The leaves are moving gently.

(f) Write three sentences using the present progressive to describe what is happening outside at this moment.

Answer:

1.    Children are playing in the playground.

2.    Birds are flying in the sky.

3.    Some people are walking on the road.

(g) Write three sentences using the present simple to describe things that usually happen outside your classroom.

Answer:

1.    Students usually play during the recess.

2.    Teachers often walk through the corridor.

3.    School buses arrive on time every day.

(h) Write two sentences about things that are happening now and one sentence about something that usually happens there.

Answer:

1.    Some students are talking to one another.

2.    A teacher is walking towards the classroom.

3.    Students usually assemble in the morning.

(i) Write three sentences describing the activities of people outside your school.

Answer:

1.    Some students are playing games.

2.    A few children are talking with their friends.

3.    The security guard is watching the school gate.

(j) Write three sentences about what you can see outside without using the names of the people or objects you see.

Answer:

1.    I can see something moving in the sky.

2.    I can see something green swaying in the wind.

3.    I can see something passing along the road.

Activity – 6

Use either the present simple or the present progressive to complete the dialogue.
Seema: Hello, Lopa. What (you/do) these days?
Lopa: Nothing much. I (learn) how to dance in a dancing school. What about you?
Seema: Me? I (work) at a training school. The school (offer) lessons on cooking.
Lopa: (you/like) the job?
Seema: Yes, of course. I (prefer) this job because I (also learn) a lot about how to cook while working here.
Lopa: What (they/teach) now?
Seema: Right now, they (give) lessons on Chinese food. You know, Chinese dishes (taste) so good!
Lopa: Can I join the classes someday?
Seema: Sure. They (want) more and more students to join their school. You are welcome.
Lopa: Thank you.

Answer:

Seema: Hello, Lopa. What are you doing these days?
Lopa: Nothing much. I am learning how to dance in a dancing school. What about you?
Seema: Me? I am working at a training school. The school offers lessons on cooking.
Lopa: Do you like the job?
Seema: Yes, of course. I prefer this job because I am also learning a lot about how to cook while working here.
Lopa: What are they teaching now?
Seema: Right now, they are giving lessons on Chinese food. You know, Chinese dishes taste so good!
Lopa: Can I join the classes someday?
Seema: Sure. They want more and more students to join their school. You are welcome.
Lopa: Thank you.
10 Additional Questions
(a) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Ravi: Hello, Aman. What (you/do) these days?
Aman: I (prepare) for my examinations. What about you?
Ravi: I (attend) a computer course. The institute (offer) classes in programming.
Aman: (you/enjoy) the course?
Ravi: Yes. I (like) it because I (learn) many new things.
Aman: What (you/study) today?
Ravi: We (learn) how to design a simple website.
Aman: That sounds interesting.
Ravi: Yes. The instructor (explain) everything very clearly.

Answer:

Ravi: Hello, Aman. What are you doing these days?
Aman: I am preparing for my examinations. What about you?
Ravi: I am attending a computer course. The institute offers classes in programming.
Aman: Are you enjoying the course?
Ravi: Yes. I like it because I am learning many new things.
Aman: What are you studying today?
Ravi: We are learning how to design a simple website.
Aman: That sounds interesting.
Ravi: Yes. The instructor explains everything very clearly.

(b) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Mother: What (you/do) in the kitchen?
Riya: I (make) some sandwiches.
Mother: You usually (eat) breakfast at eight. Why are you eating early today?
Riya: I (leave) for school early because we have a special programme.
Mother: What time (the programme/start)?
Riya: It (start) at nine.
Mother: (you/need) anything else?
Riya: No, I (have) everything I need.

Answer:

Mother: What are you doing in the kitchen?
Riya: I am making some sandwiches.
Mother: You usually eat breakfast at eight. Why are you eating early today?
Riya: I am leaving for school early because we have a special programme.
Mother: What time does the programme start?
Riya: It starts at nine.
Mother: Do you need anything else?
Riya: No, I have everything I need.
(c) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Teacher: Why (you/talk) during the lesson?
Student: I (ask) Rahul about the homework.
Teacher: You usually (work) quietly. What is the problem today?
Student: I (not/understand) this question.
Teacher: I (explain) it now.
Student: Thank you, ma'am.

Answer:

Teacher: Why are you talking during the lesson?
Student: I am asking Rahul about the homework.
Teacher: You usually work quietly. What is the problem today?
Student: I do not understand this question.
Teacher: I am explaining it now.
Student: Thank you, ma'am.
(d) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Anita: Where is your brother?
Meena: He (play) football in the park.
Anita: He usually (play) there on Sundays, doesn't he?
Meena: Yes, but today he (practise) with his school team.
Anita: What position (he/play)?
Meena: He usually (play) as a midfielder.

Answer:

Anita: Where is your brother?
Meena: He is playing football in the park.
Anita: He usually plays there on Sundays, doesn't he?
Meena: Yes, but today he is practising with his school team.
Anita: What position does he play?
Meena: He usually plays as a midfielder.
(e) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Raj: What (you/read)?
Amit: I (read) a book about space.
Raj: You often (read) science books, don't you?
Amit: Yes. I (find) them very interesting.
Raj: What (you/learn) from this book?
Amit: I (learn) about planets and stars.

Answer:

Raj: What are you reading?
Amit: I am reading a book about space.
Raj: You often read science books, don't you?
Amit: Yes. I find them very interesting.
Raj: What are you learning from this book?
Amit: I am learning about planets and stars.
(f) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Father: What (you/do) in the garden?
Son: I (water) the plants.
Father: You usually (water) them in the evening.
Son: Yes, but the weather (be) very hot today, so I (water) them now.
Father: The plants (need) plenty of water in this weather.
Son: I know. I (take) good care of them.

Answer:

Father: What are you doing in the garden?
Son: I am watering the plants.
Father: You usually water them in the evening.
Son: Yes, but the weather is very hot today, so I am watering them now.
Father: The plants need plenty of water in this weather.
Son: I know. I am taking good care of them.
(g) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Librarian: Why (you/look) for that book?
Student: I (prepare) a project on wildlife.
Librarian: The library usually (keep) books on wildlife in this section.
Student: I (not/find) the book I need.
Librarian: I (check) the catalogue now.
Student: Thank you. I (need) it for my project.

Answer:

Librarian: Why are you looking for that book?
Student: I am preparing a project on wildlife.
Librarian: The library usually keeps books on wildlife in this section.
Student: I am not finding the book I need.
Librarian: I am checking the catalogue now.
Student: Thank you. I need it for my project.
(h) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Suman: What (your father/do)?
Ravi: He (work) in a hospital.
Suman: Does he usually (work) at night?
Ravi: No, he normally (work) during the day, but he (work) at night this week.
Suman: Why?
Ravi: Another doctor (take) a week's leave.

Answer:

Suman: What does your father do?
Ravi: He works in a hospital.
Suman: Does he usually work at night?
Ravi: No, he normally works during the day, but he is working at night this week.
Suman: Why?
Ravi: Another doctor is taking a week's leave.
(i) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Neha: What (you/watch) on television?
Puja: I (watch) a documentary about animals.
Neha: You usually (watch) cartoons, don't you?
Puja: Yes, but I (enjoy) documentaries too.
Neha: What animal (the programme/show) now?
Puja: It (show) a group of elephants.

Answer:

Neha: What are you watching on television?
Puja: I am watching a documentary about animals.
Neha: You usually watch cartoons, don't you?
Puja: Yes, but I enjoy documentaries too.
Neha: What animal is the programme showing now?
Puja: It is showing a group of elephants.
(j) Complete the following dialogue using either the present simple or the present progressive form of the verbs given in brackets.
Asha: Why (you/carry) an umbrella? It usually (not/rain) in the morning.
Maya: The weather (change) today. Look! It (rain) now.
Asha: Yes, the sky (look) very dark.
Maya: The weather forecast (say) that it may rain all afternoon.
Asha: Then I (take) my raincoat too.

Answer:

Asha: Why are you carrying an umbrella? It usually does not rain in the morning.
Maya: The weather is changing today. Look! It is raining now.
Asha: Yes, the sky looks very dark.
Maya: The weather forecast says that it may rain all afternoon.
Asha: Then I am taking my raincoat too.


No comments:

Post a Comment