Thursday 26 September 2024

Key To Std. 9 Language paper, 2024, St. Joseph High School, BBSR



Question 5

A-Fill in the numbered blanks with the correct form of the word given in brackets. DO NOT copy the passage. (1/2x8=4)

 Example: (0) claimed

 

Harish, a young taxi driver_0_ (claim) that a monster had_1_ (attack) him while he was_2_ (drive) along a lonely road. The monster _3_ (be) five feet tall, had red eyes and a hairy body. After _4_ (chase) the taxi for a kilometer, he had jumped on its roof and scratched the face of the driver. Many people said that they believed in the _5_ (exist) of the monster and the newspapers called the monster the 'Monkey-man'. Ninety policemen set out_6_ (catch) the monster and the local television offered Rupees ten thousand to anyone who would get him dead or alive. The monkey-man_7_(become) so popular that crowds came to Delhi to see him. No one has _8_ (find) him. As everyone knows, monsters may or may not exist, but they are good for the tourist industry.

 

B-Fill in each blank with an appropriate word. DO NOT copy the sentences. [1/2 x 8=4]

 

1. Misleading others goes……..our moral principles.

2. He is beset……….grave financial problems.

3. She was entrusted………the task of arranging.

4. He often interferes……….. my affairs.

5. I looked at the stars………the telescope.

6. They have renovated their ancestral house………2005.

7. There are high-rise buildings………..either side of the road.

8. The municipality pulled………..the illegal constructions along the road.

 

(C) Join the following sentences without using and, but or so. Choose the most appropriate option. [1 x 4 =4]

 

1. I am tired of working. I want to rest.

a) I am tired of working.

b) I want to rest whenever I am tired.

c) Since I am tired of working, I want to rest.

 

2. My father may be at home. I do not know.

a) I do not know if my father is at home.

b) I do not know but my father may be at home.

c) I do not know, my father may be at home.

 

3. She will not do it. She will not allow other to do it.

a) She will not do it or allow others to do it.

b) Neither will she do it nor allow others to do it.

c) Neither she nor others will do it.

 

4. Rita reached home. The sun had not set then.

a) Rita reached home and the sun had set.

b) Rita reached home after sunset.

c) Rita reached home before sunset.

 

(D) Do As Directed: 

Choose the correct option. [1x8=8]

1. Alas, that ever a cousin should be false! (Begin: It is very sad - )

a) It is very sad for a false cousin.

b) It is very sad that a cousin should ever be false.

c) Alas a cousin should never be false.

 

2. No sooner did he come than he made objections. (Begin - As soon - )

a) As soon as he came he made objections.

b) As soon he came, he made objections

c) As soon as he came, he made objections

 

3. No one could open the door of the office. (Begin -The door)

a) The door could not be opened by anyone.

b) The door of the office could not be opened by anyone.

c) The door of the office could open by anyone.

 

4. We hope for his better performance. (Use-that)

a) We hope that he would give a better performance.

b) That he would give a better performance.

c) His better performance is hoped that.

 

5. He was so strong that he lifted the box easily. (Use - enough)

a) He was enough strong to lift the box

b) He was strong enough to lift the box easily

c) He was strong enough to lift the box.

 

6. I was not sure about the outcome. (Use doubtful)

a) I was not doubtful about the outcome.

b) I was doubtful of the outcome.

c) I was doubtful for the outcome.

 

7. Does the team include any new players? (Begin - Are-)

a) Are there any new players in the team?

b) Are new players not included in the team?

c) Are any new players included in the team?

 

8. I believe that Suman is innocent. (End-innocence.)

a) I believe innocence of Suman

b) I believe for Suman's innocence.

c) I believe in Suman's innocence.

 

Answers

Question 5. A.

0.claimed

1. had attacked

2. was driving

3. was

4. chasing

5. existence

6. to catch

7. became

8. found

 

B.1. against

2. with

3. with

4. with

5. through

6. in

7. along

8. down

 

(C) 1. c) Since I am tired of working, I want to rest.

2. a) I do not know if my father is at home.

3. a) She will not do it or allow others to do it.

4. c) Rita reached home before sunset.

 

(D) 1. b) It is very sad that a cousin should ever be false.

2. c) As soon as he came, he made objections

3. b) The door of the office could not be opened by anyone.

4. a) We hope that he would give a better performance.

5. b) He was strong enough to lift the box easily

6. b) I was doubtful of the outcome.

7. c) Are any new players included in the team?

8. c) I believe in Suman's innocence.

Copyright: Dr. Shankar D Mishra, Sr. Lecturer in English, Bhubaneswar, WhatsApp : 8249297412

Image Courtesy : Google

N. B. The students of Std. 8, 9 & 10, who want to be guided in English language and literature by the author offline as well as online, can contact him by the number given above. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment