Saturday 25 November 2017

A DIALOGUE BETWEEN ME AND MY OLD MOTHER

A DIALOGUE BETWEEN ME AND MY OLD MOTHER

Oh! With a bending brow
A wavering waist
Faltering feet
On an unsteady walking stick
Wades thru the airy water daily my Mother slow
Taking no rest
To her morning chores meet
Never letting her self-esteem leak!

I often lose my cool and sensitive temper
I, like inflammable fuel, fume and fire:
“Why don’t you sleep on the bed a little longer
Why do you always wake up,the Sun winks before
Why do you always  think yourself a lady of twenty four
Why don’t you ever take our help and favour
Why do you do at such a fag end so much labour
Why do you always flow ceaselessly as a perennial River?”

She retorts with a low but confident voice:
“Son, let me fight myself, until comes to an end life’s Race
It matters me little even if has slowed down my usual pace
Being dependent is indeed mean, lowly and base
Being at one’s mercy is worse even than death
Let me not be a Parasite until my last breath
Let me not be a seeker of support till I inhale
For, I have to, all alone, the Mundane Everest scale
Let my Virtues be my succor to jump off the worldly hell
Let my honest Duty be my Oar to pass the Pacific and safely sail!”

Glossary:
Fume and fire - get angry
Retorts - replies angrily and quickly

©Shankar D Mishra 25.11.2017
Blog: sdmpoetry.blogspot.com
My blog contains 186 poems till date.
E-mail: shankardmishrapoet@mail.com

WhatsApp no. 08270604524

No comments:

Post a Comment