Thursday 30 November 2017

O THAT I COULD HAVE ATTITUDE AND FORTITUDE!

O THAT I COULD HAVE ATTITUDE AND FORTITUDE!

Unrestrainedly, I can pour money cats and dogs on liquor,
Extravagantly, I can scatter bundles in a Club, Pub or Bar,
Profligately, I can drain off my purse in a Hotel Five Star,
Wastefully, I can dole out on base Gambling and Flesh above par!
Alas! I am too parsimonious to make the day of a starving beggar!

Ostentatiously, I can board a flight where walking hardly needs a second,
Frenziedly, I can borrow from my Conscience, to my irrelevant wants lend,
On vainglorious indulgence, millions of money I can lavishly spend,
I can feed fully the hollow fads and fashions to join a mad, modern trend!
Alas! I am too busy and penurious to attend to sick parents or a needy friend!

I can score, with ease, out of marks in the Tests of Reasoning and Aptitude,
I can, competently, build mansions and edifices at an unreachable altitude,
To pocket vain and petty applause, I am prodigal enough to sell my rectitude!
Alas! For a noble and charitable cause, I always lack attitude and fortitude!

N.B: This is a sonnet of three stanzas. Hope, the scholars of literature may accept and pursue this unconventional style. Thank you.

Glossary:
Unrestrainedly – wastefully
Pour money cats and dogs – spend money excessively
Extravagantly – excessively
Profligately – wastefully/ licentiously
Dole out – spend unnecessarily
Above par – more/better than is expected or usual
Parsimonious – economical
Ostentatiously – showily
Frenziedly - excitedly
Vainglorious - self-important
Lavishly – plentifully
Penurious – penniless/poor
Mansions and edifices – big buildings
Altitude - height
Vain and petty applause – meaningless and irrelevant
Prodigal - wasteful
Rectitude – morality/ integrity
Attitude – outlook/ mind-set
Fortitude -  mental and physical courage

©Shankar D Mishra 30.11.2017
Blog: sdmpoetry.blogspot.com
My blog contains 190 poems till date.
E-mails:
shankarmishra314@gmail.com
shankardmishrapoet@mail.com

WhatsApp no. 08270604524

No comments:

Post a Comment