Sunday 26 November 2017

ONLY IF I COULD AFFORD A VIDEO TICKET THEN…….!

ONLY IF I COULD AFFORD A VIDEO TICKET THEN…….!

It was the time of the cassettes and the videos
For the curious eyes’ entertainment;
And listening to the programmes of the radios
For the eager ears’ amusement!

Once, in my childhood, some of my village youths hired a Video Set
So as to provide pleasure to the country folks, and some money to get.
They sold each ticket for a ‘Show’ only a ‘Rupee’ then,
Soon thronged the Video Hall the elated kids, adults and grown up men!

I ran to my widowed Mother with an expectant wish and an anxious look
Said to her, “Bou, Can you pay me a Rupee to buy for a ‘Show’ a ticket?”
“They are running  a movie called Andha Kanoon,
To enjoy myself with others may I have a boon?”

My penniless Mom replied, “No dear, now we cannot afford!
Please, don’t mind, you shall view it when you grow old!
I have to manage a week’s grocery with it,
Else, cannot move an inch our family’s feet!”

I returned silently with a heart withered and heavy,
Still, I controlled myself, and compromised with my wretched Fate!
Told myself, “Only if our circumstances could afford  a Video Ticket,
I would able to view happily the “Andha Kanoon Movie….!

N.B: The Hindi movie “Andha Kanoon”, which literally means “The Blind Justice” , was released in 1983, when I was only 10 years old.

Glossary: Bou - Maa/Mother in my mother tongue

©Shankar D Mishra 26.11.2017
Blog: sdmpoetry.blogspot.com
My blog contains 187 poems till date.

WhatsApp no. 08270604524

No comments:

Post a Comment