Saturday 6 May 2017

YES, THOU ART MY PORTIA

YES, THOU ART MY PORTIA

Ah! Belmont’s precious Portia art thou mine,
A Venetian fortunate Bassanio  I am thine!
As the Full-Moon, thou dost constantly shine,
The whole world doth for thee long and pine!

Of all the Virtues, thou art an exemplary epitome,
Amongst  the coveted metals, thou art platinum!
Oh! Without thee, the rest are an apple of sodom,
Ah! Without thee, creeps in life a desert of  boredom!

Yes, thou dost radiate more than the luminous stars,
Thou art an efficacious balm for all mundane scars!
The realm of thy renown stretches far upto the Mars,
To attain thee, surmountable are all impregnable bars!

Yes, thou wert made only for me a long long ago,
How can then I give up my love for thee, and forgo?


*thou- you, *thee – to you, thine – yours, *mine – possessive pronoun of I, Portia – heroine in Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice* Bassanio - hero in Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice * surmountable – can be crossed or overcome
 * impregnable – unconquerable

©Shankar D Mishra 06.05.2017
 WhatsAppno. 08270604524
 Pleaseshare this poem among your friends. Tx.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! This piece of work took me back to my school days and reminded me of the greatest plays of my favourite dramatist William Shakespeare which I read!
    His plays mesmerise me even today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome depiction of true love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem
    Good evening

    ReplyDelete