Wednesday 12 July 2023

STD 10 TOTAL ENGLISH, APPENDIX: 1

APPENDIX: 1

Question 5
(i) Fill in each of the numbered blanks with the correct form of the word given in brackets. Do not copy the passage but write in correct serial order the word or phrase appropriate to the blank space.

 

 Example: (0) slowed

 

I.....0....(slow)  the car as I saw the new house. I……1……. (pull) up into the driveway ……2……… (observe) the way they had ……. 3……(build) up the balcony. I ……..4……... (forgot) that the bricks of the house ……..5……chocolate brown. The new people…. 6……. (make) the tiny balcony into a study room. I........7…… (stare) at this house........ 8……… remember my childhood there.

 

Ans. 1. pulled, 2. observing, 3. had built, 4. had forgotten, 5. were, 6. had made, 7. stared, 8. remembering

 

(ii) Fill in each blank with appropriate words.
(a) Please wash…….the curry stain from your dress.
(b) She turned…………the offer to work at the factory.
(c). The burglars broke………….the house when the family was away.
(d) I shall compete …………………him.
(e) She agreed………………. my proposal.
(f) She would like to come……………..foot.

(g) The Vishwas group of companies has taken……………… the cosmetic market completely.
(h) He agreed to carry……………… the manager's orders.

 

Ans. a. off, b. down, c. into, d. with, e. to, f. on, g. over, h. out


(iii) Join the following sentences to make one complete sentence without using ‘and, but or so’.  Choose the correct option.

1. The delegates arrived. The meeting started immediately.

(a) No sooner did the delegates arrive the meeting started.
(b) No sooner did the delegates arrive, the meeting started.
(c) No sooner the delegates arrived than the meeting started.

(d) The delegates arriving, the meeting started.

 

Ans. (None) No sooner did the delegates arrive than the meeting started.

Ans. (Or) Hardly had the delegates arrived when the meeting started.

Ans. (Or) Scarcely had the delegates arrived before the meeting started.

 

2. We lost our ticket. We lost our luggage.
(a) We lose our ticket as well as our luggage.
(b) Having lost our ticket we lost our luggage.
(c) We lost our ticket as well as our luggage.
(d) We lost our ticket and we lost our luggage.

Ans. (c) We lost our ticket as well as our luggage.

Ans. (c) We lost not only our ticket but also our luggage.

 

3. He cultivates orchids. He displays them at the flower show.

(a) He cultivates orchids to display at the flower show.
(b) He cultivates orchids for displayed at the flower show.

(c) He cultivates orchids to play with at the flower show.
(d) He cultivates orchids, but displays them only at the flower show.

 

Ans. (a) He cultivates orchids to display them at the flower show.


4. He ran away. He had seen the Principal coming.
(a) No sooner did he see the Principal coming, he ran away.

(b) He ran to see the Principal coming.
(c) By seeing the Principal coming, he ran away.
(d) Seeing the Principal coming, he ran away.

Ans. (d) Seeing the Principal coming, he ran away.

Ans. (or) Having seen the Principal coming, he ran away.

Ans. (or) On seeing the Principal coming, he ran away.

Ans. (or) No sooner did he see the Principal coming than he ran away.

Ans. (or) No sooner had he seen the Principal coming than he ran away.

 

 

(iv) Rewrite the following sentences according to the instructions given after each. Make other changes that may be necessary, but do not change the meaning of each sentence. Choose the correct options.

1. The captain said, "It gives me great pleasure to be here this evening."
(Begin: The captain...)
(a) The captain said that it was giving him great pleasure to be there that evening.

(b) The captain said that it gives me great pleasure to be there this evening.
(c) The captain said that it gave him great pleasure to be here this evening.

(d) The captain said that it gave him great pleasure to be there that evening.

 

Ans. (d) The captain said that it gave him great pleasure to be there that evening.


2. Unless the train arrives on time, we shall miss the concert. (Begin: If...)


(a) If the train arrives on time, we shall miss the concert.
(b) If the train does not arrive on time, we shall miss the concert.
(c) If the train arrived on time, we shall miss the concert.
(d) If the train does not arrive on time, we shall not miss the concert.

 

Ans. (b) If the train does not arrive on time, we shall miss the concert.


3. He has applied many times. He has never been selected. (Begin: In spite...)
(a) In spite of applying many times, he had never been selected.
(b) In spite applying many times, he has never been selected.

(c) In spite of applying many times, he has never been selected.
(d) In spite never being selected, he has applied many times.

 

Ans. (c) In spite of applying many times, he has never been selected.

 

4. Very few managers are as honest as James. (End: ...managers.)


(a) James is more honest than other managers.

(b) James is more honest than most other managers.
(c) James is honest than many other managers.

(d) James is most honest among other managers.

 

Ans. (b) James is more honest than most other managers.


5. I accept your offer. (Use: acceptable)
(a) Your offer is acceptable to me.

(b) Your offer was acceptable to me.
(c) Your offer is acceptable.
.
(d) Your acceptable offer came to me.

 

Ans. (a) Your offer is acceptable to me.


6. As soon as he finishes his work, he starts playing. (Begin: Hardly...)
(a) Hardly his work is finished, he starts playing.

(b) Hardly he finishes his work, he starts playing
(c) Hardly he has finished his work and he starts playing.
(d) Hardly does he finish his work, when he starts playing.

 

Ans. (d) Hardly does he finish his work, when he starts playing.

N.B. ‘Hardly……….when’ structure is normally used in past perfect tense.


7. My father gave me a pen. (Begin: A pen...)

a) A pen had been given to me by my father.
(b) A pen was given to me by my father.
(c) My father was gave me a pen.

(d) A pen was given by me to my father.

Ans. (b) A pen was given to me by my father.

Ans. (or) I was given a pen by my father.

 

8. I have never seen Mr. Joe lose his temper. (Begin: Never)

(a) Never I have seen Mr. Joe lose his temper.

(b) Never did I see Mr. Joe lose his temper.
(c) Never have I seen Mr. Joe losing his temper.

(d) Never ever did I see Mr. Joe lost his temper.

 

Ans. Never have I seen Mr. Joe lose his temper.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment