Thursday 16 March 2023

ଓଡ଼ିଆ କବିତା "ମୁଁ ଏମିତି ପୁଅ" / TRANSLATED POEM "I AM SUCH AN UNGRATEFUL SON!"

 




 I AM SUCH AN UNGRATEFUL SON!

 

How often had you drawn my obdurate attention

To the stars at nights, and during days to the Sun;

How often had you recounted to me imaginary stories

And sung to me songs traditional or born of your own

So that you could feed me, and thankfully end your worries!

Fie upon me! For, never have I felt in my life time once

‘How much has your hungry old stomach to resist sufferance!’

 

How many seas of bitter tears you had drunk speedily

So that you could see me in high spirits and cheerful

So that you could collect beads of diamond and pearl

In my smiles shone brightly on my joyous lips readily!

 

Fie upon me! For, grown up and well to do I’ve been

In course of time with your divine love and timely care,

Still, till date I’ve not ever shown an iota of concern

To fathom the intensity and relevance of your tears rare!

 

I’ve ever had a sound sleep on the safest swing of your lap

Like a baby weaver bird in spite of storms and cyclones dreaded.

Fie upon me! I’ve ever failed to improve your wretched hap

And, you still sleep on a torn mat in a small straw thatched shed!

 

Whenever I fall ill, you forget to eat, drink and give up sleep.

Alas! I’m ever too idly busy a son to be free to visit you for a peep

Let alone be a much needed support like a banyan tree’s hanger

And serve loyally so that you can stay healthy and live longer!

 

 

Resist sufferance – bear pain

Dreaded – fearful

Wretched – pitiful, miserable

Hap – luck, fortune

Peep – a quick look

 

N.B. – The above poem is the English version of an Odia poem “EMITI PUA MU” written by Nishikanta Kahalasingh.

Copyright: Dr. Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India 16.03.2023

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment