Thursday 16 March 2023

ଓଡ଼ିଆ କବିତା "ସେଇ ପରା ମୋ ଗାଆଁ" / TRANSLATED POEM "THAT IS MY VILLAGE."



THAT IS MY VILLAGE.

Our village is a home to a variety of trees
Like betelnuts, coconuts, palms and berries. 
One can come across here a number of pools, ponds and ditches
Which provide safe shelters to Kau, Magura, Singhi and many other fishes.
The place, where all these things are plentiful, is my village;
Wherever I go, dances Her name in my mind's lake like the Sun rays!


The punctual crows wake all up as the day dawns.
Flowers bloom on stems to dance and please as the morning turns.
Bees and butterflies come flying to suck sugary nectar in delight.
Ripe betelnuts and coconuts fall here from stems as rains from sky height.
The place, where occur all these phenomena, is my village;
Wherever I go, dances Her name in my mind's lake like the Sun rays!


Temples and Maths abound in my village.
People at work or at games are known for their hilarious noise.
Devotion in gods and goddesses binds here one and all.
None thinks ill of others, rather voluntary help reaches before a call.
The place, where feelings of love and co-operation pullulate is my village;
Wherever I go, dances Her name in my mind's lake like the Sun rays!


Kau, Magura, Singhi : local names of freshwater fish 
pullulate - be full of
N. B. : The above poem is the English version of an Odia poem “ସେଇ ପରା ମୋ ଗାଆଁ” written by Dr. Basant Kishore Sahoo.

Copyright: Dr. Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India 16.03.2023

WhatsApp :8249297412/8270604524


No comments:

Post a Comment