Friday 10 March 2023

ଓଡ଼ିଆ କବିତା "ଫୁଲ"/ TRANSLATED POEM "FLOWER"

 


FLOWER

 

My home is in the trees, in the bushes

In the stems of the greens and grasses.

I dwell in the waters, lands and hills,

In the forests, vales, river banks and rills.

 

I am found in the flowers beds and temple compounds.

I bloom in the morning as well as evening to spray fragrance,

My charming beauty is a limpid stream,

I am the thick green leaves’ sweetest cream.

 

Oh! The juveniles, the young as well as the old men

Soon get irresistibly drawn at my sight Elysian!

Some adorn me around their necks; some on their heads; and greet

The guests with me without ever crushing me under their feet!

 

My aroma spreads, sprayed by the winds, all around

Maddened bumble bees with all birds and beasts throng me with many a sound

The Yogis derive serenity at my luster and sheen,

Yes, in me they feel the divine presence of the Almighty unseen!

 

While gods and goddess are worshipped at homes and temples,

I’m carried with ardent devotion and piety to embellish their foreheads;

 Along with me are blessed too the humble plantain stem threads,

Oh! How gladly an insect sucks nectar from me when it on me nestles!

 

 

N. B.: The above poem is the English version of an Odia poem, " PHULA" written by Pandit Mrutyunjaya Rath.

 

Copyright: Dr Shankar D Mishra, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India 10.03.2023

No comments:

Post a Comment